Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

View Poll Results: What do you think of this picture???

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolute Crap!!!

2 12.50%
  • Yeah alright

5 31.25%
  • Good

8 50.00%
  • Fantastic!!!

1 6.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Daughter at a wedding

Hi all

I recently bought a new camera and was experimenting at my brother in laws wedding. I took this (in my opinion) great picture that I would like to be critiqued! Thanks

Gomm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Daughter at a wedding-little-minna.jpg  

Re: My Daughter at a wedding

I think it may have been better portrait instead of landscape.

It's a shame you cut her foot off. But if she was walking towards you, sometimes that can't be helped especially if your camera has a slow shutter speed.

If you know how to crop I would crop out the distracting highlights from the top of the image.

And if you know how to use photoshop I would use the dodge tool to lighten her face a little so we can see those cute little features

Sorry if I sound harsh but if it wasn't for honest CC like this I would never be as good as I am today. And yet I still have an awful lot to learn!

Other than that, I can see why you love this image. It's adorable! And your daughter is gorgeous!

Something along these lines as Alison said would make it much better. Hope you don't mind the redo on the image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Daughter at a wedding-little_minna_redo.jpg  

Peter, I realise you are only trying to help this person but I think taking peoples images, even if it is to help them, is a very delicate issue. And should only be done if the photographer asks you to do so.

I was very offended when this was done to me, when I hadn't even asked for it to be done, and then everyone thought their version was better than mine.

They posted a poll and one of the options was Absolute Crap I take that as looking for opinions.

If I offended you with your image then I apologise but I didn't think at the time that was the case.

People imply things in posts and ones interpretations of those posts is subjective. Posting in these types of forums leads to images being reworked by everyone at times to show what is being discussed as you had suggested in your reply what you thought would be better. Pictures are worth a thousand words and I really don't need to be told what I should and shouldn't do after being a member of this site for many years now. If the person has a problem then they should let me know not you. If you had a problem with the post I made in regards to your image then let me know directly not through Stealth as you are doing here it seems.

I actually thought your image was very well done and that others were not, and I think I intimated to you at the time exactly that.

Well, I think you need to calm down Peter. It wasn't you it was directed at so you needn't worry about that.

I was just saying taking people's pictures is a sensitive issue. Where some may be offended while others are not. Freedom of speech and all that.

You weren't asked to do anything with this persons picture and I am just enhancing on what someone else on this forum has said before in another post.

And just because you have been here for years doesn't give you or anyone else the right to take what is someone else's.

Also, as far as the poll goes you will notice there are no votes for total crap.
    Last edited by Alison; 04-29-2006 at 06:34 AM.

Hi Gomm!! I think Peter's suggestion really does improve because the white spots in the background were distracting. The image as a whole is quite precious. I like how the reflection of what seems to be the satin of her dress gives it a soft, almost ethereal glow. Also, it may be just my eyes (I've got such bad vision and I'm into photography!! Go figure!) but it seems that she could be a tad sharper. And I would like to see her face lightened up just a bit.

But none of it is major. Her expression, her pose, her hair, all come together for a precious image. I'm voting "good"
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_AUS
    Pictures are worth a thousand words and I really don't need to be told what I should and shouldn't do after being a member of this site for many years now. If the person has a problem then they should let me know not you. If you had a problem with the post I made in regards to your image then let me know directly not through Stealth as you are doing here it seems.
    Umm...Peter, I don't think you have the right to tamper with people's photographs without their permission, regardless of how long you've been on the site. The fact of the matter is you didn't get that permission prior to revising it and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe one of the guidelines of this forum requires you to do so.

Could we please stop hijacking Gomm's post with complaints on Peter? Please either email him directly, or take the complaints elsewhere. This is becoming all about Peter, and we're neglecting Gomm.
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

I agree D but to go back to the picture I actually prefer the original and may i think it may be better with a splash of colour. Good effort though.
    I'm glad I can't develop the pictures in my head

It wasn't off topic, it was in regard to what he DID to Gomm's photo. If he hadn't, there wouldn't be these responses. And, since you find it necessary that we contribute something about this photo, I will. Beautiful girl, but the contrast is too low and the composition is, like others have stated, lacking.

This is beautiful IMO, the expression, the soft glow of it. The only thing that bothers me, and that others have pointed out in my photos, is that the tones are a little too "gray on gray," so your daughter blends into the background instead of standing out from the background. I'm not really sure how you fix that, maybe that's contrast, like molaselake said. I'm new to photography, so maybe someone else can tell you exactly how to improve on that. But your daughter is absolutely precious and I think the photo's still a keeper!
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    Well, I think you need to calm down Peter. It wasn't you it was directed at so you needn't worry about that.

I was just saying taking people's pictures is a sensitive issue. Where some may be offended while others are not. Freedom of speech and all that.

You weren't asked to do anything with this persons picture and I am just enhancing on what someone else on this forum has said before in another post.

And just because you have been here for years doesn't give you or anyone else the right to take what is someone else's.

Also, as far as the poll goes you will notice there are no votes for total crap.
    Very well said Alison. I agree with everything you said.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

I feel this photo needs drastic recomposition through cropping.

Chopping off the foot doesn't work. The top portion is too hot and breaks the grassy pattern. It's too busy up there.

I think a portrait crop at mid thigh and seriously off center would be nice. Nothing in the background except for the grass.

The exposure works for bringing in the face and the softness works for the theme.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    Peter,
    I was very offended when this was done to me, when I hadn't even asked for it to be done, and then everyone thought their version was better than mine.
    Frankly, so what! All that means, Alison is that you have something to learn either about composition or editing. If your level of confidence is so low that you are that sensitive, you should not be posting in critique.

Peter did an absolutely excellent job of editing/touching up one of my portraits that I posted. It showed me that I should have been more careful with the lighting, perhaps bracketted the shot and that I still need to work at improving my Photoshop skills.
    That is what learning is all about, Alison!

Ronnoco

I think that Peter's suggestions were right on. It is very hard to give someone critique on an image and be assured that they get it. Showing them is a great way to get your point accross. Nobody is "taking" an image, just simply illustrating what they are trying to say.
    I have in the past done the same thing and was not aware of any guidlines preventing "re-posting" Again..... Gomm: great capture, Peter: great illustration and advice.

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Great photo gomm...I like the tones on this photo.
    Of course the tones are a lot better once you crop out the distractions and blown out areas as Peter has shown. This illustration is good to show how a photo can be improved by simple cropping techniques.
    Candid photos are very difficult and I think you did a good job on this...having the foot cut off could of improved the photo, but that is so minor that it is not much of a distraction.

Hopefully you not offended by the edit of Peter's...
    And the rest of ya'll need to chill until the original poster voices their opinion.
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Gomm,

Welcome to the Forume. I'm truley sorry that your first post has turned into something that it shouldn't have and has gotten a bit out of hand. I hope it doesn't discourage you from continuing to post here. If you read the actual advice and suggestions that members have given about your image, I think you will find it extreamly valuable. I'm sorry I don't have anything more to add than what has already been said.

For those who wish to voice their opinions about editing others work, please add it to this thread and steer Gomm's thread back to it's original intent. For those who haven't read the thread that I linked, bottom line is this: Get permision before editing and reposting someone elses work. As someone mentioned earlier, that is one of the guidlines for the Critique Forum.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Gomm you have a beautiful daughter and you must have been thinking of her trip down the aisle only a few years hence. I think the soft glow is great for this and the cropping suggestions help it a lot.
    ----------------------------

It's too bad the photo cuts off the foot. If you had not centered your daughter's image, but placed it a littyle to the right, it would have worked in landscape mode. Could use a little contrast.

Hi all

It seems that my first post on this site has caused world war III amongst photographers. I thank everyone for their valuable advice and critique. For the record, I didn't mind at all that Peter modified my photograph, it was an excellent improvement on an already fantastic photo (IMO anyway but I'm biased). And yes the only fantastic rating on the poll is from me!!!, but I'm allowed to be a proud dad! Anyway, I'm very new to photography and editing (I don't have photoshop yet) and any advice is greatly appreciated. This is not to say that other people won't be offended by people modifying their photos, so I think it's probably best to get their permission. No harm done to me though, I love this site and I can see that it will help me to improve my photography in the future. Thankyou again for all your valuable insight!!!

Gomm

Hi

It's me again. One more thing, the soft glow I added IMO makes her look almost angellic!

Gomm

Gomm: I sent you a message please e-mail me jonasmancuso@aol.com
    I would like to illustrate an idea on your image.

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Peter...you have chopped her foot off!! Also I would have liked to see some lightening of her face..Cute pic

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Hi

I've heard alot about lightening her face but I don't know how to do that. All I know how to do is lighten or darken the whole image. Maybe it is because I don't have photoshop or any other professional editing programme or maybe I just need some guidance.

Gomm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information