Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Talking "Fantasy"--Dragons, anyone?

Hi again everyone! Here's one I just finished this afternoon, called "Fantasy". I think every artist has a fantasy that they convey in at least one of their pieces. Here is mine--dragons, purple twilight, mist. I wish I could just walk right into it ;) The dragons *are* sx-70 pictures. I drew the wings in right on the film. I enhanced the sky in photoshop with stars and clouds, but all other elements are done with my sx-70 polaroid and hand manipulated time zero film. I look forward to your comments
    Thanks guys,
    Mel
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well I like dragons too, so I like it. I've never done much with polaroids and it sounds like you can quite a bit of interesting stuff with the film. so did this start out as a picture of a tree?

Hi! Thanks for the comment There are three pictures here: one of the tree, one of a "dragon" which both dragons were derived from, and one of the ground. I combined the pictures, changed the colors, and added stars and clouds to finish it off.Yes, sx-70 manipulation is a lot of fun! basically, I get to do three things with my shots: set up and take the pictures, draw and sketch with a stylus right into the film (which moves around the uncured emulsion), and then use my graphics skills to combine everything and make it "work". I can never get bored with it and the possibilities are endless!
    Thanks again,
    Mel

This Is So Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD
    Hi again everyone! Here's one I just finished this afternoon, called "Fantasy". I think every artist has a fantasy that they convey in at least one of their pieces. Here is mine--dragons, purple twilight, mist. I wish I could just walk right into it ;) The dragons *are* sx-70 pictures. I drew the wings in right on the film. I enhanced the sky in photoshop with stars and clouds, but all other elements are done with my sx-70 polaroid and hand manipulated time zero film. I look forward to your comments
    Thanks guys,
    Mel

You are definitely an artist! I like the whole effect. The tree has a negative image look to it, while the rest of it could have come out of a Larry Niven novel. As the old saying goes: "I may not know art, but I know what I like." And I like this.

Hi Speed. Glad to see you here! I was missing the great comments I always seem to get from you
    Thanks a bunch, Glad you like it
    Mel

Thread Information