• 01-31-2004, 07:23 PM
    MelissaD
    1 Attachment(s)
    "Fantasy"--Dragons, anyone?
    Hi again everyone! Here's one I just finished this afternoon, called "Fantasy". I think every artist has a fantasy that they convey in at least one of their pieces. Here is mine--dragons, purple twilight, mist. I wish I could just walk right into it ;) The dragons *are* sx-70 pictures. I drew the wings in right on the film. I enhanced the sky in photoshop with stars and clouds, but all other elements are done with my sx-70 polaroid and hand manipulated time zero film. I look forward to your comments :)
    Thanks guys,
    Mel
  • 02-01-2004, 12:08 AM
    2kids2shoot
    Well I like dragons too, so I like it. I've never done much with polaroids and it sounds like you can quite a bit of interesting stuff with the film. so did this start out as a picture of a tree?
  • 02-01-2004, 07:58 AM
    MelissaD
    Hi! Thanks for the comment :) There are three pictures here: one of the tree, one of a "dragon" which both dragons were derived from, and one of the ground. I combined the pictures, changed the colors, and added stars and clouds to finish it off.Yes, sx-70 manipulation is a lot of fun! basically, I get to do three things with my shots: set up and take the pictures, draw and sketch with a stylus right into the film (which moves around the uncured emulsion), and then use my graphics skills to combine everything and make it "work". I can never get bored with it and the possibilities are endless!
    Thanks again,
    Mel
  • 02-03-2004, 06:07 AM
    Speed
    This Is So Cool
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MelissaD
    Hi again everyone! Here's one I just finished this afternoon, called "Fantasy". I think every artist has a fantasy that they convey in at least one of their pieces. Here is mine--dragons, purple twilight, mist. I wish I could just walk right into it ;) The dragons *are* sx-70 pictures. I drew the wings in right on the film. I enhanced the sky in photoshop with stars and clouds, but all other elements are done with my sx-70 polaroid and hand manipulated time zero film. I look forward to your comments :)
    Thanks guys,
    Mel

You are definitely an artist! I like the whole effect. The tree has a negative image look to it, while the rest of it could have come out of a Larry Niven novel. As the old saying goes: "I may not know art, but I know what I like." And I like this.
  • 02-03-2004, 07:30 AM
    MelissaD
    Hi Speed. Glad to see you here! I was missing the great comments I always seem to get from you :)
    Thanks a bunch, Glad you like it :)
    Mel