Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

More from the Arboretum

Any opinions are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More from the Arboretum-dark-purple.jpg  
    We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.
    Edward Gibbon

Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon Speedlight 220EX

Re: More from the Arboretum

The diagonal line made by the flowers works, but other areas need work. The background is too busy, which is understandable but there are two or more approaches to solving it.
    First is back off, use telephoto and a wide open f stop such as 2.8 to blur out the background with a small depth of field. Second if you have it is fill flash used close up with a small fstop such as 16 to give more detail to the petals of the flowers, particularly in the dark areas and to darken the background. Flower photographers also often cheat by using a spray mister to put water droplets on the flowers to create a little more depth and interest.

Ronnoco

allright shot but at the same time nothing special about it. cliched and ordinary. try a different approach.

Ronnoco - Thanks for the feedback. This was actually cropped from a much larger image. I shot it with a 50mm lens from about 8 or 10 feet out. I don't remember what the apeture was. I really didn't see the shot here until I looked at the whole image on my monitor. I'll learn from this to try to see the "smaller" picture. Thanks again.

Anbesol - Thank you as well for the feedback. Since I am still a beginner I'm okay (for now) with the cliche shots as a part of the learning process. Once I get better at simply making better shots (exposure, focus, etc..) without having to think about it as much as I do now I'll definitely start trying to think outside of the box more.
    We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.
    Edward Gibbon

Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon Speedlight 220EX

I like this one. The diagonal capture shows better-than-average creativity. The background is a little busy, but as you state: You are just beginning. Take it one step at a time. You can't be expected to get it all at once, but you're off to an excellent start just by that composition.
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Thanks D. My big problem here was that I didn't see the shot until I looked at the image it was cropped from. If I had noticed that I would have gotten in closer and open up to reduce my DOF.

Live and learn.
    Edward Gibbon

Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon Speedlight 220EX

Thread Information