Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Moon @ 5pm

Moon @ 5pm

As the title suggests I took this today at 5pm. I had just arrived home from work and I saw this beautiful almost full moon staring at me and poking in and out of the clouds of the snow that is moving in.

This shot is full frame at 500zoom, ISO 200, 1/500th, F6.3.

Adjustments made - Curves layer to bring up the highlights a bit (with the exception for the 2 blown out area's which I left as I find they add character) and a layers adjustment to give the moon a little more pop. Slight noise reduction with noise ninja. And of course resized for web.

I know we've had a ton of moon images over the past little while but I would really like any comments if anyone has any ideas to improve this thenext time I try it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moon @ 5pm-moon-5-pm.jpg  
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

GB1

Re: Moon @ 5pm

Too bad you dont have a lens about 4 x longer ... the detail would have been incredible. The exposure was good, but it seems that it is a tad soft. did you sharpen it at all?

I think that moon shots like this are neat but alone are incomplete - they need a foreground or something to complete the picture. But you could use the moon in a collage in another shot too!

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I did make an attepmt at sharpening but I am absolutely horrible with the sharpening tools in photoshop.. they seem to just make my images too noisey as opposed to giving it any extra sharpness. It may also feel soft due to the fact that it was -21C when I stepped out on my front porch to take the shot after stepping outside from room temperature. There may have been a slight fog on the lens as well as there was cloud cover around the moon and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a thin cloud between the moon and myself.

4X longer?? I can't afford a 2000 zoom lens lol...... at least not yet.. I need to win the lottery first... and should that happen.. I will be at the camera shop the very next day buying a complete set of Canon lenses and 3 1D's so I don't have to switch lenses... just cameras lol.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

just a tip but u need to denoise before u sharpen.. ultimately its noise that limits what u can do..

nice try..

trog

Thread Information