Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Mommy Hands and Baby Feet

Hi there. I took some pictures the other day of a 4 month old. I am sharing 2 of my favorites from the shoot. The one of the full body, I wish her little hand was not out of the picture, but I was quickly trying to shoot b/c she was squirmy and did not realize that I had cut her hand off.

I also had problems getting my camera to focus in the natural lighting. I was even shooting in macro for the hands and feet shot, but that was as close as I could get. Otherwise, my darn camera would not focus. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks!

Pumpkin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mommy Hands and Baby Feet-pict0052_adjust.jpg   Mommy Hands and Baby Feet-pict0077_adjust.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin
    Hi there. I took some pictures the other day of a 4 month old. I am sharing 2 of my favorites from the shoot. The one of the full body, I wish her little hand was not out of the picture, but I was quickly trying to shoot b/c she was squirmy and did not realize that I had cut her hand off.

I also had problems getting my camera to focus in the natural lighting. I was even shooting in macro for the hands and feet shot, but that was as close as I could get. Otherwise, my darn camera would not focus. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks!

Pumpkin
    I like #1 quite a bit - you can't beat a smiling baby floating in space. My only nitpik other than the hand would be the the overall softness. You might care to adjust the contrast a touch, too.

I think you are the right track with #2, but I'd crop a little more and get rid of the diaper, amybe try tilting it a little, too.

Thanks for sharing.

Opinionated Newbie
    Do you have the option to manual focus? If so, it's the obvious solution

I like both images. The top one looks as if the baby is suspended in air There is some softness in the feet in particular. However, I suspect that this is due to movement. It may be because of aperature.

What I like about the hands and feet is the contrast between hands the contrast between fresh baby feet and "worn" adult hands. I think it would have even more impact had the hands been that of an elderly person. Still more would be hands with hands. However, at that point you're not longer attempting the same image

One last suggestion is to crop in so one can't see the onesie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    I like #1 quite a bit - you can't beat a smiling baby floating in space. My only nitpik other than the hand would be the the overall softness. You might care to adjust the contrast a touch, too.

I think you are the right track with #2, but I'd crop a little more and get rid of the diaper, amybe try tilting it a little, too.

Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Lava Lamp! I agree with you totally on both points. Though I have adjusted them both (they look much better now) I still felt like I could have done more adjusting on the top one. I do feel I need to crop the diaper, but if I do that...how will that affect the printing? They are fairly large files so not sure if that make a difference.

Pumpkin

the second one has a anne geddes feel about it... nice job

Opinionated Newbie
    Thanks Lava Lamp! I agree with you totally on both points. Though I have adjusted them both (they look much better now) I still felt like I could have done more adjusting on the top one. I do feel I need to crop the diaper, but if I do that...how will that affect the printing? They are fairly large files so not sure if that make a difference.

Pumpkin
    Pumpkin -- You really should not get yourself locked into worrying about fitting your image to fit a certain print size. Honestly, it should be just the opposite. Worry about composition and adjust the framing accordingly. Use a mat and either have it cut to the size you need or cut it yourself.

I find that the photo's that strike me the most are those that are odd sized. Square images are particularly appealing to me. However, I also enjoy photo's that are in more "wide angle" cut.

Unless youa re looking at wallet sizes, then ignore my rant

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Patten
    Pumpkin -- You really should not get yourself locked into worrying about fitting your image to fit a certain print size. Honestly, it should be just the opposite. Worry about composition and adjust the framing accordingly. Use a mat and either have it cut to the size you need or cut it yourself.

I find that the photo's that strike me the most are those that are odd sized. Square images are particularly appealing to me. However, I also enjoy photo's that are in more "wide angle" cut.

Unless youa re looking at wallet sizes, then ignore my rant
    Hi there! Well, I tend to think I am pretty good at "thinking outside the box" so-to-speak, but I have never gotten a cropped picture developed. I dont' know if it "warps" the picture. Like, will there be white at the bottom of the picture where I cropped it? Or does the image warp itself to fit the certain print size.

But, I did crop it and I do think it looks much, much better. I

Thanks!

Pumpkin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mommy Hands and Baby Feet-pict0077_adjust.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Tin-Cup
    the second one has a anne geddes feel about it... nice job
    Wow, thanks. I am blushing....

Hi there! Well, I tend to think I am pretty good at "thinking outside the box" so-to-speak, but I have never gotten a cropped picture developed. I dont' know if it "warps" the picture. Like, will there be white at the bottom of the picture where I cropped it? Or does the image warp itself to fit the certain print size.

Thanks!

Pumpkin
    Just crop it to the set dimensions the lab prints: 4 x 6, 5 x 7, 8 x 10, 11 X 14 and you will have no problems.

im sorry but i couldn't help making another little adjustment (cropping and making the inside thigh a little less chubby) hope you dont mind
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mommy Hands and Baby Feet-pict0077_adjust.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    Just crop it to the set dimensions the lab prints: 4 x 6, 5 x 7, 8 x 10, 11 X 14 and you will have no problems.
    I don't mind. But I bet her mom likes that chubby thigh!

(Sorry this was meant for Tin Cup's adjustment post! But thank you for the help on the dimensions!)

my son had chubby thighs when he was you also... im going out now to go shoot some photos of him so if i get any nice ones i will post them...

see ya soon

Opinionated Newbie

Thanks!

Pumpkin
    I do not know if you are using a service like ofoto.com, a local lab, or a walmart type lab (I would strongly discourage this), However, with ofoto.com you can choose to either crop to fit, or allow white space. A local custom lab will leave the white space as well. I think that once one is getting serious about taking photographs, they are best to use a local "professional" lab or even ofoto.com. There are simply more options.

What will happen is that you will simply trim the white space from the photo. Around these parts, we have a craft store chain called Ben Franklin. They have an excellent framing area and will cut custom mats for you.

So, say you print the image to be around 5x7. Of course, it won't be exactly 5x7 because of the cropping, but maybe 3.5x7. You could purchase an 8x10 frame and have them custom cut the mat for it to fit the image. Take it home, frame it, and you have yourself a VERY nice image that will definitely catch people's attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Patten
    I do not know if you are using a service like ofoto.com, a local lab, or a walmart type lab (I would strongly discourage this), However, with ofoto.com you can choose to either crop to fit, or allow white space. A local custom lab will leave the white space as well. I think that once one is getting serious about taking photographs, they are best to use a local "professional" lab or even ofoto.com. There are simply more options.

What will happen is that you will simply trim the white space from the photo. Around these parts, we have a craft store chain called Ben Franklin. They have an excellent framing area and will cut custom mats for you.

So, say you print the image to be around 5x7. Of course, it won't be exactly 5x7 because of the cropping, but maybe 3.5x7. You could purchase an 8x10 frame and have them custom cut the mat for it to fit the image. Take it home, frame it, and you have yourself a VERY nice image that will definitely catch people's attention.
    Hi Todd. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain some things to me. I do appreciate it! Okay, I have been using an online lab www.mpix.com. So far I have been extremely satisfied with their work. If I don't use them then we do have a local professional lab that I will use. I thought that if I crop and if there is white space, then I have no problems with trimming the photo and then getting a mat to fit. Actually, my husband is quite handy with a straisght edge and I do have a friend who is certified in framing. He works at our local craft store such as Ben Franklin.

I am excited about cropping. I think an odd-shaped print will be dramatic. I feel like I have a whole new outlook on pictures I take.! Thanks again for all your time and helpful info!

Pumpkin

Opinionated Newbie
    Great. I'm glad that my teeny little suggestion has energized you a bit Take a picture of the final framing. I'd love to see it.

Thread Information