Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    GB1

Model (* Warning - Nudity)

Alright folks, last of my posts of this model shoot, I promise. (Out with the springtime and into the summer..)

Here are three different types of shots. The tire one I was hoping to get a "so much is riding on your tires..." feel to it, but it seems to fall short. Not sure why.

The wall was manipulated because I thought it was a little plain as is. I find that these shots were really good material for this "Local Equalization" effect.

The leaning shot, I desaturated the background to try to get her to stand out.

C&C welcome. All were taken on Fuji Reala film.

GB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Model (* Warning - Nudity)-tires.jpg   Model (* Warning - Nudity)-walll.jpg   Model (* Warning - Nudity)-lean_desat.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Model (* Warning - Nudity)

GB....The skin tones seem a little washed out in the first shot, but I like your treatment in the second.
    John

I like the second and third shots, particularly the color. These are not the typical studio model shots so it takes something to make them unique and I like what you did with them. The color of the second shot combined with the wall texture makes it work. Nice job.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

GB1

Thanks for commenting guys. John, we used a reflector on the top one since it was dark in there, but like you said it may have pushed the brightness up a llttle too much. The second shot, it seems everyone likes that local equalization effect I've posted on the site. It really seems to revive a mediocre lighting situation.

If anything, I think I've found that lighting is difficult to properly control. Someone noted somewhere that if it looks right, it usually is. I guess I need to look and decide before shooting.

GB

My Site

Seb

GB, I hate to break the party but these doesn't work for me.

I find the lighting to be too harsh in the first and third one although your composition for the third one (with the car) is interesting. I am not used to shoot portraits in harsh sunlight but for what it worths, I'd try to underexpose them by 1 stop or so and to use some fill flash (with the flash off camera if possible) to recover some light on the model.

As for the picture of the girl against the wall, I just get that strange effect that she was pasted in there. The post processing looks odd to me but then, that's probably a matter of personal taste.

regards

Seb

GB1

Seb - Thanks for your comments. I knew the lighting was harsh, we didn't get shooting till the afternoon and this is borderline desert area. The model wasn't pasted into the pic, but I guess it might appear like that... There's definitely two distinct planes, her and the wall.

GB

My Site

Thread Information