Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Mission Espada Entrada

I used the window in the outter wall of Mission Espada to frame the Mission.

Ithink I would like to re-shoot it using a tele lens ... any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mission Espada Entrada-mission-espada-entrada-640.jpg  
    Shooting B&W with:
    a Yashica 635, 120 roll - 80mm Yashinon lens and an Agfa Billy 0 (Zero) 127 roll - Solinar 7.5cm lens
    Shooting color with:
    a Yashica-Mat, 120 roll - 80mm Lumaxar lens and a Canon FTb, 135 roll - 55mm and 85mm FD lenses

MB1

Re: Mission Espada Entrada

Way, way too much contrast. The light was really bad when you took this. Try going back later or earlier in the day.

I do like the idea and the shadows of the roof beams but the lighting takes away from what could be a really nice image.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I thought i posted a reply last night but it seems to have vanished.
    MB1 is right about the light.
    Depending on direction, it may be possible to wait until the light is on the church itself.
    I do like what you saw.

I will just echo what was already said. The idea is a good one however the problem with the lighting overpowers your intent. I also wonder if moving in on the window would help pull the focus on the mission are framing. I’m not sure how you took reading to get your exposure but letting the walls go darker would also help pull the focus on the mission. Exposing for the highlights and then bracketing the exposure might help. Again, the idea is great and should defiantly be retaken. I’m not sure if a telephoto lens would help or not. From my perspective I will only use a telephoto lens if I cannot get close to the subject, (need to pull it in) or if I want to compress depth. Look forward to the repost.

Regards,

Phil

drg

I see the start to a really good photograph in this image.

Most of the lighting issues looks to be adjustable with some minor post processing. The one lighting problem that takes away the most from the photograph is the difference in light between the foreground and mission tower. Over a distance clouds will often change the lighting quickly and we photographers have to watch that carefully and be 'quick on the shutter' or just really lucky at times to capture what we are seeing! The tower just doesn't stand out enough.

I do like the internal framing aspect of the composition. A different positioning of the camera to change the perspective so that the Tower is a little more prominent in the window might be one alternative.

Another compositional element to try would be to include both the top and bottom corner of the wall in the foreground and use the ground in about the same proportion as the sky to provide a more pleasing visual balance. I'd include considerably more of the wall/archway on the right or eliminate it all together. As it stands, it is somewhat distracting to me. Just my personal feeling on that.

Do try to exploit the open rafter shadows should you get to reshoot.

One other possibility is to get much closer, and use the natural stone wall with the shadows across it and the tower framed in the open window without any of the other foreground elements.

Lot of possibilities in this sight. Just a little bit of change in a few things could really make for several good photographs.

Best wishes and happy shooting!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thread Information