Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: " Mill View "

" Mill View "

This was done using a Moose Polarizer.... The filter also implements a warming filter built into this polarizer... you can get some strange looks with this at times , and heres one..

I kind of liked this effect because it has a canvas painting feel to it... ok , you can judge for yourself , its one of those, I like it / I hate it type...

Re: " Mill View "

NEM, as with all of your images the composition is strong. This is not the typically "beautiful" scene that you normally shoot but it does have it's charm in an edgy way. I am familiar with the moose polarizer and as you say sometimes it does wonders and others not. This for me falls in between. I like it, but I think there is a bit too much yellow in the scene. . . not a warm yellow either. I think just removing a bit of yellow from the mids and highs would do the trick here and most likely further saturate the pleasing blue sky. As always, an excellent composition
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I agree with Gary on the yellow. The composition also is nice but there seems to be some camera movement. I can see it in the trees and also the chimeny. It just isn't sharp. Maybe you were going for movement in the water?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Can I ask what a moose filter is?

Quote Originally Posted by Lori11
    Can I ask what a moose filter is?
    Yes, it eliminates any unwanted Moose that should stray into the scene. . . . kidding of course.
    A professional photographer named Moose Peterson (wildlife and landscape) used to stack a polarizer filter and an 81a warming filter on top of eachother to have the benefits of both. . .especially helpful when shooting in hard mid day lighting. The problem with stacking the two filters, especially on wide angle lenses was the heavy vignetting that would occur (darkening around the edges of the image from light fall off) So, he had a company design a single filter which is basically a polarizer with a warm tint to it to help reduce the effect of hard sunlight(which is usually about an unpleasant 9000K color temperature to a more pleasing 5500K temp) Thus it is called the Moose filter, named after the photographer that dreamed it up.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Well rats, I was hoping to find a moose with it (kidding of course ) Thanks for explaining it so I could understand it

Thread Information