Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Mega Redwood - Titan

Thoughts on this type of photo. It's a vertical stitch of about 4 images.

The weather and light has not been coorperative in the redwoods lately. Either rainy, too foggy, or a bit bright. But I'm practicing. Mainly curious about opinions on presenting a tree in this way.

This is not a rank and file redwood, by the way. It's a Titan, location undisclosed. This page will explain...

Grove of Titans Redwood Trees

It was pouring when I took the photo on that page.

I'm planning to buy a new small camera tomorrow or day after, for hiking in these woods. Something that does nice on auto and gets good detail. May bail out on the Canon S1 IS to S5 IS series. I have the S1 IS. A few years old, but reliable.

If you had to go in the woods with a $250 to $350 camera, which would you choose?

Had to go with a little image here. 640 is the height limit, and the pano stitch is well over that. So I added a tiny version. The extra photo gives an idea of size comparison, with me next to the trunk...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mega Redwood - Titan-redwood_pano_280.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MB1

Re: Mega Redwood - Titan

The stitched photo really is no great shakes without your explination. There is nothing to give perspective and the sky and the light aren't all that great. Tall trees are a pretty tough subject to shoot for sure.

To solve those issues I'm thinking that if you got there at a nice sunrise and used fill flash to illuminate a logger with a chainsaw on a lift at the base of the tree........
    No, I DON'T need that.

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    The stitched photo really is no great shakes without your explination. There is nothing to give perspective and the sky and the light aren't all that great. Tall trees are a pretty tough subject to shoot for sure.

To solve those issues I'm thinking that if you got there at a nice sunrise and used fill flash to illuminate a logger with a chainsaw on a lift at the base of the tree........
    The stand is an interesting idea.

I suppose the first frame could include myself. The left image was taken at a different distance, so it did not stitch-in well. I had to run like hell through ferns and over debris to beat the timer on that shot. Took 4 runs to find the fastest path.

Ever seen redwood photos where the sun rays are beaming through the morning fog? I wonder if that would make up for some of the lack-luster.

Very impressive piece of lumber. I have read that the location of some of these trees are kept a secret so that tourists will not swarm to them and compact the soil at the tree's base.

It is hard to get a real sense of its size without anything to compare it to. I have found a $30 infrared shutter release helps with the beat-the-timer dash.

For the $250-350 camera question, I have been very pleased with our Sony PowerShot S3 IS.

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams

I think the idea of stitching multiple photos together to get the Redwood without alot of lens distortion from using a wide angle lens is a good approach. It would be important to get the images and stitiching done well so there are no visible seems and such. Hard to tell from this size image, but in the technical sense of stitching it seems ok from here.
    Your composition is what i think could use to change. I would not frame the Redwood so tightly, but rather leave space on either one side or the other to include some of the surroundings. Maybe select a Redwood that has more space to the side of it where you could include more background from the side. As you mentioned here, the lighting is not flattering the tree and scene and so this is merely a trial run. When you are going for the gold, make sure all the conditions are working in your favor.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I think Gary has the right idea. You need to include more in the shot to really give the idea of how big this tree is.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Hey...

Please educate me on something. In a photostitch vertical panorama like this, is it the lens that causes the bend in the trunks, or just the distance difference? Other?

It's no problem at all, and I think it looks good, really.

Instead of another thread, I decided to just add onto this one. Went back to the grove for more shots. Lots of sun, and shadows moved every 20 minutes.

By the way, I would include more in the images, but since this grove is undisclosed, I'm trying to limit the views in the photos.

RIght now, I'm just experimenting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mega Redwood - Titan-redwood_pan280.jpg  

I think that having you next to the tree gives a pretty good comparison of just how big the trees are. I like the shadows on the trunk. the curve in the trunk looks natural to me, but if your questioning it obviously it isnt. Even the ferns look huge. Very primordial, half expect a dinosaur to amble past.
    Army

Thread Information