Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Man at the Table/ take four

Hey all, you might remember the first attempt at this and your comments and suggestions were well noted.
    I have been working on the narrative and the set up and after several more attempts I think I have something I am happy with. interesting that this should be finished on Valentines Day. . .
    What do you think?
    Thanks

please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: Man at the Table/ take four

I think the text on the book should be embossed (and the text on the matches should be flipped). Another good self portrait (although I don't understand the compass). Nice job overall, the text is the only thing I think that needs work.

Great spotting, Caleb. A friend of mine pointed out the same issue with the text on the matchbook, and so i have since flipped it as it would be and reposted.
    I also added a bit of depth into the text on the book to try to enhance its embossed appearance.
    The item in question is an old Time Piece, but thinking about it being a compass could be pretty funny, as if he is wondering where he should go from here. . .
    this is supposed to be on the humorus side anyway with the title, and the expression, the hair etc. . .
    Thanks for the points.

gary

Just a personal preference, but I'd move the ashtray so there's an unobstructed view of his arm. The duck-tray is the only object that covers the view of either arm. Just a thought, but a fun shot. His expression is way good considering what you're pervading in this photo.

Maybe a compass and a map. Other than working out props you are onto something The lighting and processing are perfect. I know many here complain about trying to get smoke in the shots. Did you do anything special here?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

This has a much more complete story. With the matchbook fixed, I have no quibbles only applause. :thumbsup:
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Lot of character in the portrait. The whisp of hair on the right side of the man's head near the temple bothered me. It looked like a growth or a artifact of some kind. I had to magnify my image to see what it was.

Thank you for the comments.
    Don, that is the whiff of smoke there that i think your referring to.
    Greg, the smoke was illuminated by the side lighting of the main and the back lighting of the rim. seems to work, although i never tried smoke but one other and had a similar lighting.
    If you hit smoke straight on, it may not show as well, just a hunch.
    Thanks for the help on this

gary

I completely envy the smoke textures, and the little bubbles of shadow they put on their skin.

In fact, I like them so much I think I may hate you.

Ha. I am just hoping I can get some degree of control to make something so essentially restrained and yet so cool.

Although it does look like you had to get through some smokes to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by daq7

Although it does look like you had to get through some smokes to make it.
    Ha, thanks Daq. You have no idea. . . .I had my GF leave me a few cigs before she left the house thinking I could do it within two or three smokes the most.
    I have an old cigarette case that was given to me from a friend of the family that was seeing over an estate of a friend who passed away, There were some 8-10 filterless cigs still inside that must have been over 40-50 years old! I
    I used up the three that my GF left me, jeez they burn fast. I did not want to light up the old smokes, but really wanted to get this piece done and so I wound up smoking about 5 of the old filterless smokes. They smelled and tasted like old stale incense. . .
    many of the takes had me with my eyes closed as i was squinting from the smoke going in my eyes. . .
    Its been like 20 years since i had smoked a cig. . .

gary

The image is outstanding

and humorous it is, the hair style continuous to amaze me

Hello Gary
    I think you have the expression and general body language absolutely perfect and, for me, most of the thingies on the table are superfluous and in a way are a distraction. It is making something, that is already so excellent, that much overdone and looking somewhat contrived, too carefully placed and reminiscent of a museum display..
    The ash tray is needed with loads of cigarette ends. The book tends to give things away. I suggest replace it with a glass of whiskey and remove everything else; this will leave us feasting on the most important part of the image.
    I understand Don's point about the whirl of smoke; it just had to be in the wrong position as the button was pressed.
    You are the star here and really nothing else is needed.
    Outstanding work though in any man's language.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

I suggest replace it with a glass of whiskey and remove everything else
    But Tom, that's your answer for everything!

I actually agree with this sentiment although I think my poor brain likes not having to guess the story every time. It is a tight script.

But . . . A glass of whiskey never hurts it just burns on the way down.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Ha, thanks Daq. You have no idea. . . .I had my GF leave me a few cigs before she left the house thinking I could do it within two or three smokes the most.
    I have an old cigarette case that was given to me from a friend of the family that was seeing over an estate of a friend who passed away, There were some 8-10 filterless cigs still inside that must have been over 40-50 years old! I
    I used up the three that my GF left me, jeez they burn fast. I did not want to light up the old smokes, but really wanted to get this piece done and so I wound up smoking about 5 of the old filterless smokes. They smelled and tasted like old stale incense. . .
    many of the takes had me with my eyes closed as i was squinting from the smoke going in my eyes. . .
    Its been like 20 years since i had smoked a cig. . .
    HAHAHA I can picture that odyssey you describe Gary.

As for the shot well...you look like Sh/t!...no seriously the expression is great really like it.
    The PP work have "Gary" written all over and as usual its really neat. Great shot.
    I was thinking how would this shot look with a darker background and a spot light over the table? The mood will change but it might look more dramatic with a different lighting...but that is another idea...sorry got lost in thought

:thumbsup:

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

So are you artfully disheveled or do you look like that all the time.

I ask, because I am frequently (i mean naturally not artistically) so, and I don't want to seem like I am copying you. I should, perhaps, keep myself religously groomed for self-portraits...

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Gary, this is now my favorite self portrait. I know you meant it to be humorous but it is also quite serious for those going through the throws of lost love.
    We could quibble about the items on the table 'til doomsday and everyone would have a different idea. I think they are just fine and now that I can read the book title,(although with difficulty), your expression and the atmosphere seem quite appropriate.
    I give it an A++
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Gary, do you mind if I eventually do a shot with the same theme? It needs to have the haggard look, the smoking, maybe alcohol...

Armando Tom, Rob, Frog Daq, Cindy thanks for the thoughts.

I had been going back and forth with this piece with a photographer friend of mine whose work and opinion I respect much and she suggested finally that I try getting the point across with less items on the table, although she thought it worked as it was.
    I agree that as Tom suggested it looks arranged too deliberately, but then something about that amused me. I really wanted this piece to sorta poke fun at the character and myself, and the arrangement of the items looked as though the man was bathing in self pity.
    I decided to leave the set as it is, but this has been a good lesson nonetheless in getting a taste for setting up a table and props for a scenario. there is more to come, with the SP series and i'm looking to keep things on the "less is more" side of the concept.
    Daq, go right ahead, i don't have a patent on this concept looking forward to what you come up with.

Frog, much appreciated. thanks for the good words and offerings of the table setting.

Cindy, we gotta hang out with Tom one of these days. . Want to book a flight together?

gary

I ask, because I am frequently (i mean naturally not artistically) so, and I don't want to seem like I am copying you. I should, perhaps, keep myself religously groomed for self-portraits...
    When I'm home alone and not going anywhere, I do like to bum around, although i am playing it up in the SP's.
    I am comfortable when very casual. . . .
    I was considering a very highly well groomed character as well for some SP so it is not entirely about being disheveled. .
    Don't ever worry about copying anyone as long as what your doing is true to heart. Being inspired is ok, if thats what going on.

gary

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I might comb my hair if it starts getting caught on stuff.
    Are many photographers slobs? Pics of groomed people with unidentifiable expressions are rather boring to me.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I might comb my hair if it starts getting caught on stuff.
    Are many photographers slobs? Pics of groomed people with unidentifiable expressions are rather boring to me.

aah haa..possibly a new project in the future frog..un-groomed portraits and I couldn't agree with you more.

gahspidy, GREAT shot. It tells a story right in the picture. Not many portraits do that for me....not many at all. I wouldn't change a thing. And the story of how you got it done seals the deal. What we do to get the shots we want only some will understand.:thumbsup:

Darin
    "There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but only one view"
    "You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus".
    "Whenever man comes up with a better mousetrap, nature immediately comes up with a better mouse."

As usual, I love it, Gary - particularly the expression. You are as great a model as you are a photographer and digital artist. I'm envious on all counts.

Canyon Hiker mentioned that this image tells a story (indeed it does) and that not many images do that for him (which I find interesting, as I've seen so many which have done that for me). All of which got me looking at this image more deeply and considering things I might otherwise not have.

Part of what makes this image for me is that, on one hand, the inclusion of seemingly random props lend an air of mystery, but on the other, the message of the story is driven home with the force of a sledgehammer, which serves as an incongruity factor (if the mood and tone were meant to be dark), ultimately lightening the mood in a very strange way. I like the effect, but was wondering if that was your vision for the shot? (Images of this complexity are the ones that make me wonder.)

Another element I find odd (yet inexplicably pleasing) is that the props seem to be arranged just so with the kind of cognizance and deliberateness which, depending on the sensibility and skill of the artist, can either make or break an image. Here, it is approaching kitschville, but somehow still works... really well. Don't know how you pulled it off; few would be able to.

None of the above are criticisms, per se. They're just things I noticed which made me wonder as to your intent with this image (mood-wise, etc.).

The above said, great work. I'd be very pleased to have pulled this one off.
    Last edited by draymorton; 02-18-2010 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon Hiker
    aah haa..possibly a new project in the future frog..un-groomed portraits and I couldn't agree with you more.

gahspidy, GREAT shot. It tells a story right in the picture. Not many portraits do that for me....not many at all. I wouldn't change a thing. And the story of how you got it done seals the deal. What we do to get the shots we want only some will understand.:thumbsup:

Darin
    Thanks for the time, Darin.

I think the irony is that while it certainly does tell a story, the problem could be that it appears to hard and obvious that a story is being pushed out here.
    I went through this over again with a friend and she wanted this to be more serious, I guess. I wanted this to be almost absurd and after thinking about re shooting with a more simple set up i felt compelled to leave it alone because it just appears like he is throwing a pity party here for himself and has a humor factor in it, which I wanted.
    I think as Dray stated, its right on the edge of succeeding and failure. . .

gary

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton
    As usual, I love it, Gary - particularly the expression. You are as great a model as you are a photographer and digital artist. I'm envious on all counts.

Canyon Hiker mentioned that this image tells a story (indeed it does) and that not many images do that for him (which I find interesting, as I've seen so many which have done that for me). All of which got me looking at this image more deeply and considering things I might otherwise not have.

Part of what makes this image for me is that, on one hand, the inclusion of seemingly random props lend an air of mystery, but on the other, the message of the story is driven home with the force of a sledgehammer, which serves as an incongruity factor (if the mood and tone were meant to be dark), ultimately lightening the mood in a very strange way. I like the effect, but was wondering if that was your vision for the shot? (Images of this complexity are the ones that make me wonder.)

Another element I find odd (yet inexplicably pleasing) is that the props seem to be arranged just so with the kind of cognizance and deliberateness which, depending on the sensibility and skill of the artist, can either make or break an image. Here, it is approaching kitschville, but somehow still works... really well. Don't know how you pulled it off; few would be able to.

None of the above are criticisms, per se. They're just things I noticed which made me wonder as to your intent with this image (mood-wise, etc.).

The above said, great work. I'd be very pleased to have pulled this one off.

Thanks Dray for this time to lay out your thoughts like this.
    I think your absolutely right in that this really walks the fine line of hit or miss as far as the layout on the table goes.
    My expression, the lighting and the mood are all meant to be. . .moving or even disturbing, although I doubt it goes that far. However, I want that depth of mood and expression to be set off by absurd aspects such as the hair and rather obvious props, like the swan (initially it was a mouse) the time piece and the silly book. Here, the distraught character is basking in pity with his swan companion (pathetic) silly book getting the message across about what it is exactly he's depressed over, and nothing but cigs to smoke and time on his hands. . .I first had a different book title which included the word death in it, and that just did not work at all and actually sucked any humor out of it, I think.

I was considering doing it again, but something about the absurdity of the staged scene struck me funny and with the comments from some other photog friends who found it hilarious, I decided to leave it be.

Hey, I hope we can finally connect.

gary

I haven't read all the comments.

The more I look at this one, the more I think the book doesn't need a title. It's too clear and out of keeping with the rest of the photo. It also seems to force a theme. Without it, we look and think and wonder about all the elements. With the title, looking at the picture it becomes a much less interpretive experience. We kinda say: "Oh, I get it. It's love gone wrong."

I guess what I'm saying is maybe you want a picture or words, not both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information