Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Man with hat

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Man with hat

comment and critique please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man with hat-man-hat-web.jpg  
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

Re: Man with hat

I think that you have a lot of good things going on. For one I like the subject and the area he is in. The buildings in the background are nice. But I see where you were going with the long shadow but feel it is a distraction. You might have done better if it were a few feet shorter and not hiding detail from the man. I also see some noise in the picture. Maybe from post processing. I think to it might have been stronger on color, with the buildings and sky. IMOHO
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I'd also like to see this in color. I like how the shadow leads to the man in the hat.

seems grainy to me, compression or high ISO?

I dont know if I like the shadow covering his face, maybe if his hand were in the shadow, good image overall though.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Well i do agree with what's been said so far, the shadow leads nicely to the man, but the fact that the hands are out of the shadow, make this picture look and feel like an "educated snapshot" rather than a beautifully executed photo!

And yeah, it might look better in color too!

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Gary -
    The print is grainy, but looking at it on screen again it looks a lot more grainy than in person...I should try to figure out how to scan better. Not sure what noise is? Noise = Grain?
    I would like to try to print again using a crop on the shadow to shorten, but then again I like the placement as is...thanks for the suggestions.

Mr. Yuck
    The hands being out of the shadow has bothered others too when viewing this photo...I find the interesting.

Marcus
    Streetphotography seems to me to be nothing more than educated snapshots...but I do see your point and strive for well executed photos.

Thanks for all your input.
    Cheers.

Jason
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

Jason,

Noise is grain and some people go beyond the grain and add to it dirt or other things that might stick to the lens of the camera, or even on the scanner...

Believe me i know what you mean, i'm guessing you saw this man standing there, and just had to take the shot before he decides to move... I had one such image, its in my gallery "Old-Man" and this guy was walking and i needed his expression... so yes..street photography does become educated snapshots.... I got my share of criticism and i'm giving mine, so we can become better "Street Photographers" if you will....

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Thread Information