Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Madrid Square

Ctn

Madrid Square

Hi guys,

It has been a while since i have posted here, unfortunately too busy to take the photos i want to. Last weekend we went on a city trip to Madrid and i finally got to take photos again.
    What do you think of this one?

Madrid Square

Just Me

Re: Madrid Square

There had to be other photos you took of Madrid that shows the city better than this one. Madrid is a beautiful city and its streets that swarms with people and activities can be inspiring to photographers, this looks like it could have been anywhere. I think this shot is too dark.
    Last edited by geraldb; 10-12-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Ctn

The only critique i can find in ur reply is that the title is off (with which i agree 100%) and that you find it too dark (i did try to make it lighter but it lost quite a bit of its atmosphere).

You are right that there are many other things to take a picture of in Madrid and ofcourse i did..... Thanks for pointing that out...

I really like how some of the people are lit and yet are in what seems to be a shadow area. That's my favourite part of the photo. For improvement, I think cropping the right side to after the tree trunk gets rid of that dark busy area that's not helping the photo. I like the angled shadow falling on that building in the background. The photo has a very good shadow/light play. good stuff.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

That dude with a camera

I think you are are way too far.
    The tree on the right is covering the man with the lady, and the light lamps in the left would look much better if they were all in front of the bright area( the first lamp kind of blends with the building behind it.

I say that a wider focal length and a smaller distance between you and the subject would make it better.

I like the image but I think a tighter crop would improve it a lot, maybe focus on the guy sitting on the step. It also looks like the image has a slight tilt and I agree lighten it up a bit. Great job

As said a tighter crop might be better,
    I'll suggest cropping some from the bottom and from each side

GB1

Strong geometry. That intense contrast definitely doesn't make a neutral impression. I think it would work better if you were a little farther zoomed in to around the girl on left and fellow in middle. I am unsure if the sidewalk adds anything: at first I thought not, but it also creates the feeling of a meeting area.

ps - try a close up of the windows, but aiming straight at them (the lowest one), not up.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I like it. The lighting on the human subjects is great. Almost looks to me like they were lit with flashes. And it does look too dark but not by much at all.

Try cropping in from the right to lose the tree and up from the bottom to lose the grate (or whatever). That would leave you with a lack of sidewalk, but it would tighten up the image.

You could also play with cropping in from the left to eliminate the other building and down from the top, into - or right above - the background building to get rid of the sky.

Those three subjects are so interesting that I'd like to see more focus placed on them, though not completely at the expense of the surroundings.
    Last edited by draymorton; 10-17-2012 at 07:35 PM.

really cool shot, a little dark though

Good image, this is something I’ve dabbled with but need to practice more. Thanks.

Thread Information