Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Love is Everything

Put this one in my gallery a few weeks ago. would like to know what you think
    thanks.

please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: Love is Everything

Lovely scene--classic. I think the photo would be better with some context for that sign. I didnt even notice it at first it got buried in the frame of the photo.

I commented on this in the gallery too. The overall scene is a right old mess (decrepid fences and growth) but that sign, just like love, changes everything in more ways than one. Very clever shot I feel and I am enjoying it even more now than on my first view. The slight glimpse of what I think is the sea (or is it just the sky) is very good.
    Last edited by Overbeyond; 03-06-2008 at 09:09 AM.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

MB1

O.K. I see it.

The title makes this a killer image. It would still be ok without the title but........

BTW It is a very interesting composition, very nice catch.
    No, I DON'T need that.

I like this a lot. Is there any way to enhance just the "Love is everything" to bring more attention to it?
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

the photo itself mean alot here, I love how you put this in action even though it is a very simple image that everyone see it every day. too cute, maybe you could call it highway to heaven and shoot this in a lower angle with more sky hopefully the sky is blue with some white cloud and maybe with a super wide lens distortion too. Just my thought I thinks.

For me, it's the colors and the mood.

I love this shot Gary, it sets a nice mood and i love how the colours are in this.
    i love how it looks as if the path just drops off!
    10/10 stars
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Everything is fine except that the sign doesn't show well.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

from my amateur eyes, it's beautiful, hehe.

Well done Gary. I had to come back a second time to see the overhang. I didn't see it at fist, 6am and I wasn't awake good. Two thumbs up...
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I really like this photo

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Greg
    There you go again....Gosh, you have an eye for these amazing finds...

''MB1'' put it best...The title makes this a killer image!!
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Hi Gary - I have kept coming back to this one. To be honest, I am not sure about it. Yes, the lead in through the sand is nice, and yes, the 'love is everything' adds a new twist to it.

The reason I am not convinced is because there is so little of the sign - it is easy for it to look like odd framing.

Maybe if the lettering were a little more 'in your face' - or maybe if there was a little more of it to give context. I'm not sure, in other words.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

As always, thanks much for your time to comment and lend me your thoughts on this. The feedback is invaluable to me.
    I am glad that for the most part it seems to have gone over well and works. I feel the same. Although, I agree with Mike in that ultimately the border overhang on the top feels cramped and heavy and almost like a wide frame coming down from top. I could not see any other way to include this writing and the scene and was stuck with it I guess you can say.
    The writing was brought out a bit more than it was originally, and I guess a bit more tweaking is possible but I would like it to remain subtle, sort of an after thought or something to be discovered after looking a little bit.
    This was two exposures layered together. The first was exposed for the landscape scene, and the second exposed more for the overhang/writing. I then layered it and revealed the better exposed writing in afterwards. I could have shot and used fill flash to hit it, but at the time the two exposures was possible as I had tripod and seemed to be the best choice in proving more flexibility.
    btw, Mike, I think I may try playing with increasing the amount of sign at the top, although I'm not sure that will help it. Perhaps this one may rely heavily on presentation with say a large white or cream matte. I'll have to experiment.
    Thanks again for the feedback

gary

GB1

Ugh! Gary, you're playing tricks on my mind here. The upper wood area makes the scene look like a painting or mural. A heck of a scene too I might add. I really miss those sand fences from the east coast... They don't have them here in s. cali (and then scratch their heads as to why their beaches are all eroded away !).

I think the wood and saying are OK from a novelty standpoint, but I would like seeing a horizontal counterbalancing element at the bottom. It's just too strange and intrusive as is. But perhaps that's why you posted it? It is different. I really don't think the saying matches the scene, and the text is almost unnoticeable (on this monitor, anyway).

Great color in the background btw.

gb
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Ugh! Gary, you're playing tricks on my mind here. The upper wood area makes the scene look like a painting or mural. A heck of a scene too I might add. I really miss those sand fences from the east coast... They don't have them here in s. cali (and then scratch their heads as to why their beaches are all eroded away !).

I think the wood and saying are OK from a novelty standpoint, but I would like seeing a horizontal counterbalancing element at the bottom. It's just too strange and intrusive as is. But perhaps that's why you posted it? It is different. I really don't think the saying matches the scene, and the text is almost unnoticeable (on this monitor, anyway).

Great color in the background btw.

gb

yeah, I did certainly want to know what the general reaction from everyone would be with this comp. Turns out its pretty much how I feel. i think it works, but with some reservations about the heavy banner feel of the top.
    I will try dodging the entire wood lip to see it lightening it will ease the heavy feel, and also bring out the words a bit more.
    I like these sand fences too, they have a charm about them and the scenes they add to.
    Thanks GB1

gary

Many people understand the meaning of true love which can give them option of spending the life more interesting with the help of true love girls options.I have tried to check the belarusian girls who are attractive girls by body with great sense of humour.You can marry with them and get amazing options for spending the life with true love.

Thread Information