Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Look closely...

It's hurricane season... again...

Look closely...

I was doing a "reflection" project for my photography class, when I happened upon something more than the reflection! Photo taken at Merritt Island Nat'l Wildlife Refuge, Florida
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Look closely...-gator2.jpg  
    Last edited by kkraczek; 03-20-2004 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Photo too small

Can anyone tell me how to make the image larger, yet keep it within the file size limit? Thanks!

There are various ways to do that in Photoshop, but I think that [alligator] is so small relative to the rest of the frame, that to enlarge (the alligator) more than 50-75% will break down the sharpness in that part of the image.

In general I know it's exciting to capture these moments, but I think you will find that [you have plenty of opportunity to shoot wildlife in Florida]. Rather than worrying about fixing this shot I might just try to get a more zoomed in shot on your next shoot.

Last edited by PuckJunkey; 03-21-2004 at 11:02 AM.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

This is going to sound strange I'm sure... but what bird are you talking about? I wanted to point out "look closely" for the gator... because my family didn't even notice it until I showed them!
    Now I have to look for the bird...

If you are using photoshop (ps) or paint shop pro (psp) you can access the image, resize menu and adjust the image size as you like. Keeping the resolution at 72-90 dpi is good enough for on screen viewing. Then to keep the file size in the range you would like, just use the Jpeg optimizer or just save as JPEG and you should see different levels of compression settings to choose from. Higher file compression will cut down the size but also sacrifice some image quality.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

LoL.

Sorry. I had originally thought it was a bird. I then corrected myself and walked away from the computer, not realizing I forgot the original "bird". I actually thought that's what the alligator head was at first -- a bird with wings blurred, facing away from the camera -- so that kind of gets to my other point, which is that it would be better just to go out there and search for a gator (or a bird) to shoot, and zoom in on that sucker... rather than trying to digitally enlarge the gator's head when it's so small.

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    MERRITT is loaded with gators... it's hard to not find one.. or a bird for that matter ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

If only I had a zoom...

I agree! Now I just need a zoom lens... (this photo was taken with the standard 28-90 that came with the Rebel TI) I would love to get a fixed 200mm. Time to start saving the pennies! LOL Thanks again!

I hear ya. There's always "one more piece of glass" we could all use, that's for sure.

;)
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Personally I don't think this will work for your reflections project, it is just too busy, and not enough room showing reflections. But hey who am I to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Personally I don't think this will work for your reflections project, it is just too busy, and not enough room showing reflections. But hey who am I to judge.
    Actually, the reflection photo that I like is in my other post entitled "reflections"... I just thought that the gator was a cool addition to this photo!

Thread Information