Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

View from without

Does either of these work for you?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Re: View from without

Hi Paul,

The bottom of the two photos seem to have a big black blob which is unecessary and could do with cropping and something about the double shadows of the heads is a bit off putting for me. I quite like the concept though.

The top photo I do like. I like the funny lighting and the subject just sitting there obviously looking at something and I'm trying to figure out what. The only criticism I have is the vertical pillar and the way it intersects with the low table/plant holder which I keep being drawn to. Have you tried cropping to just the person up to the pillar and above the planter/table thingy? It may make a better picture.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I like thes a LOT Paul. The sense of voyeurism is strong because you included the window parts to heighten the 'looking in' feel and the sense of mystery is also very strong because there's a lot inside that we can't see. The light patterns in the first one are great too, and I didn't notice the etchings or paintings on the glass in the second right away because the inside was more interesting.
    Nice work.

I like the concept here. . . voyeuristic as Chunk stated. The bottom shot is not composed well though as there is too much dark area on the bottom and I'm feeling a vertical shot here with the subjects at the bottom and the doors and the beautiful etchings filling the frame would have worked great. The top shot is cool as the silhouette is strong and the golden color of the lighted panels in the bg are very appealing. good work
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Thanks guys, I'm going to persevere with this theme then. You know where I got the inspiration from of course ...

I was out in Germany and just spotted the top shot as we passed a new hotel.
    My wife went to see the room rate, I started shooting

I tried the crop, Roger, but I think it leaves the man in the chair too central.
    I wanted to put him toward the edge, looking out of frame.
    I'd be interested to see if I've cropped where you expected - I tried to follow your comment.

The second shot,I think it's worth working on with two votes out of 3
    I wish I'd had a tripod, this was hand held at 1/5 second and only one if my 3 tries is sharp - shows the anti-shake on the A2 works !
    I chose this because I liked the thin slice of the man's face through the window, instead of just the shadows of the ladies' heads.

Now personally, I like the grainy feel of the image, and the slight tilt because I wasn't straight on to it (I didn't want my reflected silhouette) doesn'tbother me.

But I'll havea go in PS (be gentle, it's my first time!) and see if I can improve this.
    Noise Ninja and rotating fixed that, and now I've tried two more crops.

In the horizontal crop you can see the shop windows behind reflected. I did try a polariser and as I expected it didn't reduce the reflections of the randomly polarised light form the shop. Plus it pushed the exposure to long to hand hold

It's a shame because i like the symmetries of the engravings on the glass, and the women's heads - all pointing inward to the splash of colour of the man's head.
    I would like to have got rid of the reflections somehow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails View from without-cvpict7141.jpg   View from without-cnpict7183.jpg   View from without-cvnpict7183.jpg  
    Last edited by SmartWombat; 01-06-2005 at 02:24 PM. Reason: can't type, can't peafrood
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

You had it first time - didn't like the croped version looks much better as the original - thanks for trying.

I prefer the shot of the ladies behind the window cropped and never noticed the man behind the glass in the original. Nice.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information