Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Lonesome Rowing

Lonesome Rowing

I'm in two minds about this picture. On some levels i like it a lot, but then i have my reservations as well.

I'd love to hear some critisisms (sp?).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lonesome Rowing-solitary-rower.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 07-17-2005 at 10:29 AM. Reason: UN Sticking as "Featured Photo" for 11 July 2005

Re: Lonesome Rowing

I think I understand your ambivalence. Overall, I think it's beautiful. I love soft, sort of mysterious background. It's lovely and enticing. I might have cropped it a bit tighter to get rid of that horizon. There's not enough of it and it ends up being distracting, I think.

But I think the main problem is the angle of the rower. I can tell it's a rower, but he's at an awkward angle and it doesn't really have the feel of rowing. I'd like to see him horizontal to the frame and actually pulling on the oars. But I realize you couldn't really control his angle or activity. Sometimes you just have to take what you can get. In this case, I'd file this scene away in your head and wait for another opportunity. You might even consider talking to a rower and setting up the perfect shot. I think it's worth it. And I bet you could find a rower who would be willing to help in return for a print.

I don't know how much sports photography you do, but the best photos are usually made, not found. If I want a great shot, I get some riders and tell them what I want and we "session" so we can refine the photos and get as close to perfect as possible.

Regardless of the problem with the rower, this is still a wonderful and beautiful photo. The background is sooooo nice. Makes me want to be there
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I like this photo as well.
    I like the placement of the rower and I like how you placed the rower in line with the bouy or stump behind him and then again with the pole behind that, it is a nice visual line for the eye to follow back towards the shore.
    I like the texture from the water too.
    The colors are very soft, which gives a lonesome kind of mood.
    You might burn the lowere left corner some, that disctracts a little bit, but that is my only negative comment.
    Welcome to PR.com, if I haven't extended that to you.
    I look forward to seeing more from you.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Yes I can see your problem,

There are in my opinion three shots in this picture - the one you have, the rower on his own in the water and the above the horizon. There is nothing really to tie the three parts together except the posts.

But saying that I like what you have and would not change a thing. You captured the lighting brilliantly and the fact that the rower is or is not rowing does not harm the picture at all but adds to the contemplative mood of the picture.

I would not burn in the bottom right water - I like the way it shows the early light or evening, prefer to think its morning with that light.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I like the mood and lighting in the shot and the inclusion of muted background info. I think the photo wants to be horizontal with more of the wake included and more space to move into. Don't know if that was possible.
    ----------------------------

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys! Very useful advice from all of you. I'll see if i can get a better take of it next time!

Congrats on the featured photo! Well deserved. I love the feeling of solitude you have captured.

Tranquil and relaxing, love the soft colours and your composition is really strong, congratulations on the featured photo!!

Herriot

I realy like the composition of this picture and the where you put the horizon line in the picture its realy nice
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

Nice image, and I do understand your reservation about it. As roger said, it does seem to have a few different shots in one and I also agree with Chunk in that this seems to feel like a horizontal would have worked best. But, this is still good as there is mood and interesting elements here to keep ones attention. I actually like the posture of the rower as it looks like he is taking a moment to look at the suuroundings, but I'm not sure if thats actually what is going on as it is hard to tell from the web image, but as John stated, a more defined posture would have been stronger.Congrats on the sticky, look forward to more
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Wow!

Thanks everyone.

I didnt expect a sticky. Thankyou to you all for the great comments. It's great for someone like me who is just starting to get help from people a lot more experienced! It's given me a bit of enthusiasm to get out and get shooting more (it's the middle of winter here)!
    'Tis My Website...

*whistles innocently*

film photography

listen here, you crazy kiwi, you definitely deserve that one....! congrats.

i love what was said about the rower being comtemplative.... he's between strokes and you captured him there almost in his own moment of rigid progression. nice contrast: rigidity vs. placidity.

i love the strength of his center, focus on him being brought in from the rear is very nice....
    thanks..
    No matter how good i ever may get, it has to keep being fun, or i'm wasting my time....

Thread Information