Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Lobster cages

Seb

Lobster cages

Comments are welcome.

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Re: Lobster cages

Seb,

Aside from how brilliant you compose your shots and the careful shading of b/w, I am most impressed with how you use the sky. They always seem to be the perfect backdrop to the primary subject of your photos.

This shot is great!

CF

P.S. how does one post the personal photo of themselves with a response? I have tried to edit my "signature" but seem to be missing something.
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Flyer
    Seb,

Aside from how brilliant you compose your shots and the careful shading of b/w, I am most impressed with how you use the sky. They always seem to be the perfect backdrop to the primary subject of your photos.

This shot is great!

CF

P.S. how does one post the personal photo of themselves with a response? I have tried to edit my "signature" but seem to be missing something.

Thanks again CF!

I don't get to shoot landscape very oftenly and I am usually faced to boring skies when I do so. Thus, I was in heaven during this shot as I experienced some serious skies!

You need to edit the "avatar" in the control pannel of your account. That's the picture that will go with your responses.

Seb

This makes me think of "The Wizard of Oz." Like the tornado came though and threw the lobster cages everywhere. But anyway this is a beautiful shot! I'm new some I'm learning what everyone's photography is like. When I saw your dead tree pic I was a little skeptical but you've got a lot of great photos.

Thanks Seb.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

GB1

Seb - Decent, but I think it somehow lacks tonal quality in the foreground. The grass etc all seems surreal, almost like it's borderline IR film. Hard to explain here, but the shot just seems unnatural to me.

Just another suggestion that you watch the spliting of the photo into two equal pieces like you have here... that can create a lot of tension in a photo. It can work if there's an object that breaks up the split, and the traps sort of do a little. But they're just a bit too small to do it effectively, and the shot just seems to be split in half to me I guess I'm easily confused.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Maybe I'm strange but I love this photo for all of the reasons GB said needed fixing.

:arf:

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Comments are welcome.

Seb
    Thanks all. The look mostly comes from dodging. That's actually the first time that I dodge a picture in this series. It does look different, perhaps I pushed the effect too far.

Seb

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Devin MacShawn
    Maybe I'm strange but I love this photo for all of the reasons GB said needed fixing.

:arf:
    Devin - Yeah, it does have a magical feeling somehow. Spliting the frame in two can have a dramatic effect btw.. Maybe the conflict is appealing.

gb
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

AWESOME...the composition is wonderful! I tend to lean towards a bit more comtrast...but the textures are gorgeous as well... you can almost feel a little breeze...really one of your best in my opinion...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Hi Seb,
    I like this photo for the reasons already mentioned. I wish to see some water in the pic, may be due to the title.
    yoyo

Thread Information