Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: A little whimsy

A little whimsy

Hi all

On a dull and grey afternoon I thought I would try a little tabletop photography. This is called 'Arthur was caught cheating again in the natural history competition'.

That's my hand incidentally.

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A little whimsy-arthur-4-j-.jpg  
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Re: A little whimsy

Nice work Mike the composition is spot on as always. I find the hair on top of the finger a little distracting. The vignetting and background work well.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I have to respectively disagree with Greg about the hair. True, you could have used a feminine hand holding the butterfly/wand. But, having the more "manly" hand gives a nice contrast to the pink/red tones, like a father trying to entertain a young daughter. In other words, I see a very nice story in this shot.

Hehe - sorry about the hairy hand .. I knew I shouldn't have done this when the moon was full

More about it: my club has an annual 'Master Photographer' competition where you have to submit a series of pictures on set subjects. I have already posted one or two of my possibilities. In this case, one of the subjects is 'Still life or tabletop'. I always think you do a little better in these competitions if you try for something a little unusual. Hence the image and the title.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS

Very nice. Imaginative shot.

GB1

Mike,

I like the idea, but I think the hand is too prominent in the shot. It should be more about the flowers and butterfly. Try cropping so only a hint of the hand is visible (this means you will have to crop something off the left side to balance it). Try lighting the vase a bit also, perhaps from behind (harder to do), and perhaps show the neck of the vase. Like the vignette.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I also think the hand is a little too prominent , possibly a crop on the right just showing some of the fingers holding the stem.
    Last edited by hminx; 10-07-2012 at 01:28 AM.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

I have studied this shot for some time and actually like the 'out of place' hand. The masculinity contrasts well with the femininity of the rest of the shot. The title of the image gives the hand the 'right' to be there...

A really good and imaginative result for me.

Thanks guys for your helpful comments.

The concept of the photo is in the title - it arose when I was judging a club competition and I strongly suspected that someone's butterfly shot was 'rigged'. The image is a humourous take on that idea. For that reason the hand and the butterfly on the stick is important.

However, I take the point that the hand may be just a tad too prominent, so I have cut it off at the wrist which, I think, is better. I have also applied a little subtle lighting effect to the vase (as per GB1's comment).

Thanks again
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS

I thought I commented on this wishing the hand was female. lol. Very nice otherwise.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Thread Information