Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: D70 Snapshots

D70 Snapshots

Well, I finally broke down and purchased my first digital SLR last week and it arrived a couple days ago. After "reading the bleeping manual" and testing the D70 under incadescent lighting conditions (it performed remarkably well), I headed out to capture some shots of an oncoming storm. Getting a feel for the camera basically.

I did some minor cropping, perspective correction and color enhancement in Photoshop (mostly in the grass / green areas). The clouds were actually a bit darker than shown, but I had to bump up the exposure values in ACR before doing anything else. I've only been playing with it for a couple days and already I know I'm going to love that aspect of Photoshop. Miss a shot by half a stop, no prob. Just shoot NEF and fix it in ACR. Nice.

;)

The shot with the homes is from Wednesday, the one with the tower I shot yesterday about a half hour before sunset. The compositions are obviously pretty mundane but I thought I'd post a few anyway. Once the rainy weather departs (maybe this weekend?) I will post more. There's a local nature preserve and also a state park where I've enjoyed shooting in the past; maybe I'll head to those places first. Or the Lake perhaps... I can't wait.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D70 Snapshots-pj-d70test-tower.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by PuckJunkey
    Well, I finally broke down and purchased my first digital SLR last week and it arrived a couple days ago. After "reading the bleeping manual" and testing the D70 under incadescent lighting conditions (it performed remarkably well), I headed out to capture some shots of an oncoming storm. Getting a feel for the camera basically.

I did some minor cropping, perspective correction and color enhancement in Photoshop (mostly in the grass / green areas). The clouds were actually a bit darker than shown, but I had to bump up the exposure values in ACR before doing anything else. I've only been playing with it for a couple days and already I know I'm going to love that aspect of Photoshop. Miss a shot by half a stop, no prob. Just shoot NEF and fix it in ACR. Nice.

;)

The shot with the homes is from Wednesday, the one with the tower I shot yesterday about a half hour before sunset. The compositions are obviously pretty mundane but I thought I'd post a few anyway. Once the rainy weather departs (maybe this weekend?) I will post more. There's a local nature preserve and also a state park where I've enjoyed shooting in the past; maybe I'll head to those places first. Or the Lake perhaps... I can't wait.
    PuckJunkey,

A good friend of mine is seriously considering buying the D70! You and others are commenting so positively about it, and I think that's great. I'll refrain from "critiquing" your compositions as I realize that's not really your intent here... (maybe this thread better for ViewFinder? ) but I will say that I like the contrast in colors a lot. I'm very impressed with this camera, from what I've seen. I've actually played with one once as well, for about 5 minutes.

I would enjoy seeing more from your new Nikon as you take them!

-Stew

Well I certainly don't mind them being critiqued if there's something aside from the ordinary compositions you see that needs work. I just was kind of excited to post *something*, even if the shots were more or less test shots.

Anyway, I plan on shooting every chance I get when I'm not doing studio work / post-production, so hopefully I'll give you guys plenty of ammo for critiques.

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Hey Puckjunkey,
    I must say I was pleasantly surprised to see you had posted some pics.
    congrats on your new piece of equipment. I too have heard great things about this camera, and have seen it with my own eyes as well. The pics that come from it are very sharp, clear, vivd,with great contrast and detail.
    I know these pics are more for test purposes and experimentation than for you looking to build up a portfolio with, but the one with the tower (bottom) I really like. The look of that weird shaped white tower breaking up through the horizon and standing out in front of that ominous dark sky coming in has a strong visual appeal. The highlights of the tower are blown out somewhat, on my screen anyway, but does not hurt the pic too much. I like it.
    The other pic of the houses I would say is nicely framed with the walk path leading the eye out towards the houses and not centered but off to the third of the frame. The dark sky here also helps to add a mood to this scene, but overall I just don't find it too interesting.
    I wish you well with your new gear and am looking forward to seeing your work. You have given us all the benefit of your time, comments and insight as well as great constructive critique Will we be seeing any sports/action shots i.e Hockey??!!!
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks for the kind words. It's always a pleasure to drop in and check out the day's new photos and contribute some thoughts to the discussion. As for me, it's funny you should mention hockey. Just got done playing rat hockey with the boys earlier today and was thinking I should stop in unannounced one of these days and snap a few shots of the guys on the ice. I think with ACR I could minimize any goofy light casts and the guys certainly wouldn't care.

We shall see....

;)
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Hi PJ,
    Congratulations on the new camera acquried. Looking forward to your photos.
    yoyo

Liz

Talking Congratulations!

We can all relate to the excitement of taking that new camera out of the box and pushing the shutter button for the first time. You'll have lots of fun with this awesome camera. I love that 2nd shot.....love it.

Liz

;)

Thanks Liz. You know the things in the frame itself are not that inspiring, photographically speaking, but I see this area all the time and you'd be amazed how many dramatic skies backdrop this suburban everytown. It may have something to do with the fact that the area sits in a small, open valley and that a lot of fronts pass directly through the area (meaning the edge of fronts).

I'll post a few more this summer for sure... hopefully some cool storm / lightning shots. I've never been particularly good at getting lightning but maybe with digital that will change because I'll get some instant feedback on whatever I'm doing wrong.

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

i dont like them that much i dont know y, mabey because there is a huge storm surpassing you or that its just like city life which i dont like at all,
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

Amen. Truthfully I don't care for suburban sprawl or any of the problems that come with it (traffic, noise, overdevelopment, etc.) but for now this is my area so I'll try to capture whatever moments I can. Going to have to get in my car and take a few weekend road trips this year... maybe head up north of here where there is less development / more open lands.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Arrow

;)

Hi Puck,

1. I don't think I can post objectively on this one to be honest. While I am from San Diego the main 10 years of my life, 5 - 15, were lived in Montana, I had never seen "tract" housing until leaving Montana. I never cared for it much. Aside from that, I like the wind blowing the trees about, and the stormy clouds in the background. Storms are one of my favorite things in this world. I do have a dumb question, in this picture is the sidewalk going across the driveway?? I have never seen that anywhere before.

2. Another very stormy, black day. It shows up very nicely against the white of the water tower. So does the green of the grass, etc.... I like this picture.

Betty
    "When you aim for perfection you discover it is a moving target".

- George Fisher -

learning member
    Hi PuckJunkey

The D70 sure is a fine camera .
    For the testing purposes the photo's are very well . I like the second one for the contrast .
    Wish you a wonderful time with the new camera.
    Greetings
    james

;)

Thanks for the comments Betty and James. I was surprised to see this thread get bumped back onto page one, but it's always good to read more opinions.

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information