Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Light Box

Light Box

Hey guys,

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right thread. I built a light box today so I can take some shots in it, but I can't seem to get my settings right. I'm pretty much a newbie, so I'm looking for any help you guys can offer. I'll include two pictures that I just took, and hopefully you guys can tell my what I'm doing wrong. I seem to have a reddish tint in my pictures, and the black really doesn't look as black as it should. If I slow the shutter speed, the white starts to look more white, but the so does everything else . Hopefully you guys can help me.

I'm using florescent lights, and I believe they're in the 4000k range. f stop is set to 5.6, ISO is at 100 and white balance is set to florescent.

The shutter speed is 1/25 in this first picture:

The shutter speed is 1/13 in the next picture:

Re: Light Box

Looks like your WB maybe off. Try shooting in RAW and you can adjust the WB at will.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Adjust your White Balance to get rid of the color. The white will be white or gray. Then adjust (increase) the exposure to make the gray so it is white.

To take it further, what do you have for post processing software?

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Well, I'm not sure if the camera will let me adjust the WB like that. It has a custom option, but you have to fill the viewfinder with white, then press the shutter button and it automatically calibrates. The only problem is, my camera said custom WB error or something like that. I guess it can't adjust to the color of my florescent lights or something?? I don't know, do you think I should get some 5000k bulbs?

I tried it with the calibrated setting (apparently it calibrated as close as it could), and the picture looks a lot better, but it's still not quite right. I'm not sure if you can see it or not, but this picture has some kind of white circle in it??:smile5: This is going to be a crash course . Oh yeah, I have Photoshop CS3 that I can edit with, but I'm not that great with it LOL.

You adjust the WB in post processing with software like Lightroom. It would be cheaper to adjust it after the fact than to buy bulbs. With Lightroom you can twaek the WB all you want to.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Well, I did a little editing. What do you guys think?

I downloaded Lightroom 2, and I'm trying to learn . Maybe you guys can tell me if I'm doing something wrong. Any tips or pointers are appreciated, and if anyone wants to mod any of my images, feel free.

This first image is before Lightroom:

The next image is after Lightroom:

Thread Information