Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

"Is that life?', one asks. "Yes, thats life", one answers

Hi All,
    Welcome your comments.
    yoyo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Is that life?', one asks. "Yes, thats life", one answers-crw_4249-jpg.jpg  

Re: "Is that life?', one asks. "Yes, thats life", one answers

Hi All,
    I have the idea of this shot for several months. After I posted the photo, I think it may relate to the recent typhoon and that is not my intention. The original idea is to depict the natural transition of things.
    yoyo

before i comment i have to ask you to explain the title you chose.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyo Szeto
    Hi All,
    Welcome your comments.
    yoyo
    Yoyo,

First off I don't see the link between the photo and the title.

The photo to me leads to the title of transitions as stated in your explanation.

As to the photo I find the background a little bland to contrast the ice cubes. The water would be better pooled around each of the cubes rather than drawn as if the cubes had moved, perhaps that was the intention behind the title, but for me it doesn't quite work. Perhaps more water to clearly define the path leading to each of the cubes.

I do like the idea of the photo but its not quite there for me.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

For me, the title makes sense. I'm not sure if it was what you meant, but to me, the two ice forms that are holding together are speaking to eachother about the one that is melting away. One is asking the other if this is what is in store for them as well, and the other confirms. Such is Life. . or Thats life.
    I agree with Roger that the bg is not helping to bring out the qualities of the ice and melted water. Have you tried converting to b&w. Might be more effective here. i like the concept, and your creativity is very good.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Hi Almo, The shot is about ageing and death. The ice-man turns to water gradually implies its fate which seems irreversible. That is the reason for the title.

Hi Roger, you point out the key weaknesses of the shot. I agree with your suggestions. Thanks a lot.

Hi Gary, Thanks for your thoughts. Your perspective of the two ice-men talking to each other is very interesting and I have not thought about it. They are placed opposite to each other for the compostion purpose but I find your interpretaton has more depth.
    yoyo

I kinda got the jist of the image and you meaning there. It's the title I don't get. Is it a quote, or did you just make it up on the fly. I really don't see how it fits the theme here, but hey it's you image after all.

I like your work for the most part, but this image just doesn't really hold much interest for me. Maybe in a different setting, angle, lighting. Something. Personly I thought they were ankhs. I didn't see little men at all.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I'm sorry. I hate being mean. And I know there is plenty of my work that you could say the same of. Please remember it's just my own stoopid opinion.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Hi Almo,
    Thanks for your comment anfd I treasure it. I am glad to know what you think. I made up the title myself.
    yoyo

Hi Almo,
    Did not read your third message. Dont be sorry, I like your mean comment.
    yoyo

Thread Information