Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Let's See You Dance Sucka...

...you ain't got nothin' on me!

From the 30th Anniversary Celebration and Grand Re-opening (after renovations to the space) of a local dance studio: Liz Lehrman's Dance Exchange. How did I do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's See You Dance Sucka...-dance-.jpg  
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: Let's See You Dance Sucka...

Well...
    I am thinking that you intended the guy on the right to be the emphasis of the photograph.
    Right?
    When I look at this photograph, my eye first goes to the others on stage and just kind of stays there.
    The guy on the right, blends in just enough that it is kind of hard to see him.
    The heads of the audience are kind of dictracting too.
    The whole photograph isn't all that exciting.
    You have the right idea, with the line from the other dancers, but the whole photograph just seems dark. Which is due to the lighting.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I agree with your analysis about David blending in too much on the right Brian. I was hoping that the gaze of the other dancers would lead the viewer back to him since he wasn't as highly visible as I would have liked. The lighting was also tough for this kind/speed of action and of course I am sent to the back of the room and no flash photography please. There are others from this night that are better but I felt the moment might be enough to save this one from it's other short comings. That's the way it is. . .I don't get that 1/250th of a second back to be in a better place for the background. [Sigh]:sad:

What if I tried to remove some of the distractions from the right with PSE so that David stood out more cleanly?
    Asheville Photographer

Cindy,
    I don't know about anything else, but the song "Footloose" immediately came to mind.
    John

Thanks John! I think you may be right that the title is misleading. Footloose would probably be more appropriate with the genre of this troupe. They were performing segments from their latest production "Scenes at a Cocktail Party". And we were all sitting in one big open room of the studio so I really felt the need to include the audience as part of the experience. They have invited me back to do some stage images and that will put me in a place where I can focus on the dancers and not worrying about avoiding background distractions.
    Asheville Photographer

Nice photo--you grabbed the opportunity. It's too bad the flying dancer is in front of another dancer so that legs and arm interfere -- seem to jut out from --the subject. Could you clone out the lady behind him?

Thread Information