Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Leaf in a Light

Leaf in a Light

Had this shot for some time now but just recently did some editing to it and feel I am satisfied with the result.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Leaf in a Light-leaf0804-090903xbwweb.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Resting on the Lunatic Fringe FadderUri's Avatar

Re: Leaf in a Light

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Had this shot for some time now but just recently did some editing to it and feel I am satisfied with the result.
    I like it. The light sets the leaf off from the dark background beautifully.

FadderUri

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

I too like this.. I have a shot I was just looking at of a grouping of leaves in b&w, but yours puts mine to shame

You've captured this leaf in a way that makes me feel like I can just reach out and touch it - all the little minute details are there, all along the stem...
    The leaf that is closest to the left side, seems a little strange to me... but I can't quite figure out why..
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Thanks FadderUri for the time to comment.
    Clicker. . .I appreciate your positive feedback on this. . .and btw, I don't think this puts anything to shame. especially one of yours. Meant to tell you, I like your Hendrix reference " Excuse me while I burn in the sky"

gary

Opinionated Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker
    The leaf that is closest to the left side, seems a little strange to me... but I can't quite figure out why..
    It looks like a womans breast. See the nipple?

I really like this photo. I don't know how to describe it. It has motion. Maybe it's the drooping leaf. I don't know -- but I do like it!

Thanks FadderUri for the time to comment.
    Clicker. . .I appreciate your positive feedback on this. . .and btw, I don't think this puts anything to shame. especially one of yours. Meant to tell you, I like your Hendrix reference " Excuse me while I burn in the sky"
    You are welcome, I really enjoy seeing your work! Seems that you always have so many different subjects you shoot, and always do such a good job at it too!

I really like Hendrix ! That's my cats name too.

Speaking of Hendrix... That songs lyrics has been listed as "misheard" : "excuse me, while I kiss this guy" I think my adaptation fits me better!

oh, and Pfffffffffttttttttttttt....
    Last edited by Clicker; 10-01-2004 at 06:59 PM.
    Rachel

Todd...

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Patten

I really like this photo. I don't know how to describe it. It has motion. Maybe it's the drooping leaf. I don't know -- but I do like it!
    I don't usually see breasts, I *do* see lot's of fallic things though....
    Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Patten

Todd, thanks for your thoughts. Yes, it does give me a feel of motion as well, the drooping of it . It was actually slowly drooping up and down in a mild breeze.

Clicker, Hendrix fan huh. . .cool. I kinda thought so when I read your avatar . It's "Excuse me while I kiss the sky" though, is it not?

gary

Todd, thanks for your thoughts. Yes, it does give me a feel of motion as well, the drooping of it . It was actually slowly drooping up and down in a mild breeze.

Clicker, Hendrix fan huh. . .cool. I kinda thought so when I read your avatar . It's "Excuse me while I kiss the sky" though, is it not?

LOL !!! yes --- the song is Excuse me while i kiss the sky...

but what i was trying to say ( let me stop to laugh....some more) Is that there is a website or book or something called "Misheard Lyrics" and *it* lists the song as being heard as " while i kiss this guy" which is funny because...well, it's just funny... let me find it.... oh der.. its the same domain name...lol

okay: http://www.kissthisguy.com/
    another song they list is " hold me closer, Tony Danza" ( instead of Tiny Dancer)

check it out!
    Rachel

I like the tone and texture of this shot a lot Gary. Sharp as a tack and the B&W really is the way to go. Brings out a mood in something that typically has none in most photographs. Sort of an edgy feel to it. I will say I think the second stem arching down, while it makes for a nice geometric play, is a bit distracting. As I look at it, if it were possible to clone the second stem out, while leaving that small twisting leaf visible on the left side of the frame, that could work... hard to say.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Ghost

This is such a beautiful subject under beautiful light. Great job!

Trevor. . .thanks for the time to comment

Puckjunkey. . . .Thanks as well. . . .I too think the other stem might be better off gone. . but then I think that it helps give a bit of added element to what otherwise might be too boring. i think I will experiment with that and see what I feel about it. Would like to know what others feel about that.
    Clicker. . . Think I will check out that website. How true about that lyric being so misheard. and Tony Danza. . forTiny Dancer??!! LOL thatrs too funny, man

gary

Gary, I feel that your composition needs that extra stem.It would throw the whole design off if it was missing. It would also leave too much empty space. It's a beautiful in its simplicity.
    Kit

excellent photo gahspidy, i love how you can see through the leaf and see its inside. and the black background makes it perfect, did you shoot this at night errr?

Shesells. . .Glad to know your feelings on the other stem. After some thought on it while first editing the image, I felt toleave it in as it gave me the feeling that the leaf was a part of something more. . .amongst others but happened to be the "star" without it I don't think i would feel it was "connected" to something more.

F_15 Flyer. . . thank you for commenting. It was taken in the day with diffused sunlight shining through trees. I had noticed how the light was catching this one leaf and iluminating it to a glow. Upon conversion to bw, I was able to highlight the leaf and blackout the bg then added some mild lighting effect to create a bit more dynamic.

gary

wow, i would have never figured that out. thanks!

I like it. Do you need the other leaves and such to the left? I'd maybe cloen all that out and leave the central leaf only.

Gary I have not comment on one of your images in sometime. Mainly because I can't find much that is not to my liking. You are quickly leaving many of us in your wake. Another fine example of your excellent eye and mastery of light. Thanks for posting.

Larry

Thank you for the kind words, Larry. Always good to see you on the forum.

LavaLamp. . .I tried removing them completely and somehow it lost some other dimension that these side elements provide. But when burning the othe stem in and other leaf selectively ( with the black bg it's more like burning them out), it seemed to be less distracting and yet still in the image to provide that "connection" for the subject.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Gary I have not comment on one of your images in sometime. Mainly because I can't find much that is not to my liking. You are quickly leaving many of us in your wake. Another fine example of your excellent eye and mastery of light. Thanks for posting.

Larry
    LEAVING us ....

Great pun, Larry.

Gary, I have to agree with Larry. This is a very strong shot.

The simple subject of the leaf and the shape are truly beautiful. The execution of the photo-the compostion, the lighting, the B&W, the contrast-truly make this a stunning image. This is an image that I would purchase as a poster size print and hang in my home. I think I would just sit there and stare at it and be inspired by the simple beauty.

Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon_M
    The simple subject of the leaf and the shape are truly beautiful. The execution of the photo-the compostion, the lighting, the B&W, the contrast-truly make this a stunning image. This is an image that I would purchase as a poster size print and hang in my home. I think I would just sit there and stare at it and be inspired by the simple beauty.

Sharon
    Sharon,
    And you inspire me with such positve comments. Thanks for your time. and welcome to this great forum.

gary

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

I have just started to get into photgraphy over the last year. I have to say that this is what I'm trying to achieve in b&w. The contrast is incredible and I love the detail.
    I'm jealous Cheers.

I really like the tone and texture in this shot. I think you really pulled it off well. It almost reminds me of something I saw in my biology book in high school.

Greg

Gary,
    You've done it yet again. You took a very simple subject and created a very beautiful yet mystical mood. The conversion to black and white appears to have made the difference.
    I'd frame it and put it on my wall...

Thread Information