Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Lateral Links

racing > all

Lateral Links

Tripod, remote, 5 second delay single exposure. No flash, just cropping no editing otherwise. I like it, but it's missing something to me. Yes, it is me.

Took me a few hundred trys to finally get a good welding shot. I found it's not easy shooting a light source, but the challenge is what makes it fun. It also added a few hours of time to doing a hour or so job, but whatever. See this thread about shooting a candle.
    98 Cobra - AI racecar - 300HP, lots of suspension

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi (450D)
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

So long as you credit me as the original photographer, go to town with my work. You can't make it any worse.

Re: Lateral Links

How about crop tighter?

Congrats, for those who have never tried it, this is an extremely difficult photo to get the exposure just right, and keeping the welding splatter away from your lens. Extremely well done. And a good selection of title.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

That must have been difficult and I think you did very good.
    I hope those gas cans are farther back then they look.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to get this. It looks good to me!

Would somebody please explain "lateral links?"

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

racing > all

A lateral link is just that, it links two suspension pieces laterally in a racecar. It is simply the type of part I am fabricating in the photograph. The gas tanks are empty but on a 8 foot high shelf (I'm 6' 5" and did everything in the garage myself...height makes for more storage space others might not be able to use...), they look close because of the angle of the photo. That is not to say, however, that I do not have many wreck less and outright stupid shortcuts/overlooks in the shop. For all of my expensive OSHA approved safety gear, it is rarely used. Note how my $150 welding gloves are not seen in the photo.

Aging, feel free to edit/crop as you see fit, I never care what people do with my stuff, it's all in fun for me.

For those of you who have experience welding, I can tell you first hand it was a lot easier to shoot ARC. As soon as you add that argon cloud into the mix, it gets real hard to get shots like this. Even your one good exposure gets a cloud of crud in it.

So long as you credit me as the original photographer, go to town with my work. You can't make it any worse.

Lateral links. Okay, thanks. I did notice you weren't wearing any gloves. I shudder to think about the sparks flying all over your camera, too

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. My dad was a machinist and welded when we were kids. I remember him telling us "whatever you do, don't look at the light!!!!" -- and our eyes were clamped shut or we were walking backwards...

Yours is the first real welding I've ever seen -- and your hood is way cooler than his was.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

I thought the cloudless (no inert gas) arc of the mig was for effect, as well as the lack of gloves, the clean hood filter cover and the gas cans. Don't worry we won't call OSHA. :lol:
    Again very well done for a difficult capture.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

racing > all

For the small tack welds I just quickly close eyes and pull trigger, but you're doing a ton of them, moving the part, cutting, bending, etc. so the helmet becomes a real burden. When everything is mocked up and I'm going to be welding for prolonged periods of time I do use the helmet but I have seen many "pros" never using eye protection at all. Not my cup of tea, I can barely see after using my oxy-ace torch for more than a few seconds and that's much less light output than a MIG.

Funny you say that about the helmet. I much prefer this ~$50 off the shelf Lincoln helmet "starter" with auto dimming than my "professional" ~$300 Miller helmet.

racing > all

Quote Originally Posted by w.slayman
    I thought the cloudless (no inert gas) arc of the mig was for effect, as well as the lack of gloves, the clean hood filter cover and the gas cans. Don't worry we won't call OSHA. :lol:
    Again very well done for a difficult capture.
    this is a MIG shot. after many failed attempts of exposures of long beads wrecked by argon clouds, I well ventilated the area, counted out the timer in my head and this is about a second or a second and a half into a bead, not much visible cloud at this point.

I suppose argon, being an inert gas, really isn't visible, but the reaction does sure create what is similar to a dust or fog cloud in the immediate area.

Thread Information