Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Late September Afternoon

Nikkor 35-70mm with Vivitar .43x aux

Re: Late September Afternoon

I love the 2nd one it really pops! And I like 4th one with colors. The first and 2nd ones are kind of bland tho the one with the pot you might be able to lighten it up and make it better maybe.
    Nikon D7000
    Nikon D60
    Nikkor 18 - 200mm VR f 3.5 - 5.6G
    Nikkor 50mm f 1.4G
    Nikkor 18 - 120mm VR Kit Lens

Don,

At first, I really didn't know what to think of these pictures. Then after browsing through your blog, I got a better sense of your artistry.

Out of the four pictures, I like the third one the most (the flower pot). There's something about that light hitting the side of the flowerpot that I like very much. The overall picture gives me a sense of mystery. Why no flowers/plants in the pot, yet a small plant growing right next to it?

Critique wise, I found the leaves on the left quite distracting and competing with the spotlight of the flowerpot. Perhaps crop the picture or "burn" the leaves.

Respectfully,

iyuphoto

I love all pics. Love the color of fall colors on your shots. Nice job..
    Save Water, Save the Planet

Not sure why Don but the pot shot grabs me with this series. The first one would be a great background for a composite image perhaps some gnomes up to mischief........
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Don, I'm really not sure how to critique these because they have such a distinctive post-processing style that it leads one to believe you knew exactly what you wanted.

Personally, I like the last and the first - in that order of preference. The colors and texture work well in the former, though I would be tempted to tone down some of the chroma noise in the shadows (though, again, I'm guessing you wanted it in there).

#1 is good, as well. The effect (whatever is is) works particularly well in the upper third of the image. The brightest point is a little too bright and oversharp, but the effect is still compelling.

Torn on #2. Those bright leaves are beautiful, but there is a stylistic contrast between them and the bg (bg noisy, leaves not) which I'm not sure really works. And the brighter green leaves to the left disrupt the mood for me somehow. One thing I do like about the image is the contrast between the brightest leaves and the darkest ones.

#3 has a nice emotional quality to it, but I feel the highlights in the pot need more detail. OTOH, I'm torn as to whether or not the darkest darks need detail. They are pretty black. Also not sure as t o whether I'd keep the leaves in. They do compete, but they also add interest.

Your work is a challenge to critique because the choices you make often seem very specific and deliberate.

Thanks very much guys. I do the best I can. There are lots of problems I can't control. I either live with them or don't work on the photo.

#1 nice spotlight, , for me needs more elements to keep me interested
    #2 I would have explored ohter angles to make the bright leafs become more interestins with a composition that gives a better 3D feel, as is looks like a drawing with no depth
    #3 I really like this one
    from the leaves o the left passing through the pot and then ending in the bottom right it is a nice diagonal
    #4 interesting processing , not my fav either

BTW Don I do know the look you are going for but never seem to be able to get that just right look, I do love alot of yours. I belive alot of them are worth framing and would look great hanging on a wall in a waiting room or office. Keep it up
    Nikon D7000
    Nikon D60
    Nikkor 18 - 200mm VR f 3.5 - 5.6G
    Nikkor 50mm f 1.4G
    Nikkor 18 - 120mm VR Kit Lens

Thanks Armandao and Skip

Thread Information