Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Last Two: Graves from Holt Cemetary

In New Orleans, we're known for our above-ground cemetaries, but I found this cemetary near my school that has the fascinating hand written tombstones. Some of them are only a few years old, but look like they've been around since the dawn of time. Fresh flowers are always on the graves any many look more expensive than the graves themselves.

Would love to get some feedback on these as well!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Last Two: Graves from Holt Cemetary-cem_1.jpg   Last Two: Graves from Holt Cemetary-cem_2b.jpg  

the fence,the chair and the streetcar

are all very striking shots...I think the streetcar one amde me look twice....it had vintage feel to it and looked almost out of the 60's...the cahir with the slight tilt felt so lonely and forgotten...and the fence with the spiral of spikes was very threatening...

all of them evoked a very distinct feeling and I really look forward to seeing more of your work...the values and contrast were just enough to get your flair and style across...well done...
    ;)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    are all very striking shots...I think the streetcar one amde me look twice....it had vintage feel to it and looked almost out of the 60's...the cahir with the slight tilt felt so lonely and forgotten...and the fence with the spiral of spikes was very threatening...

all of them evoked a very distinct feeling and I really look forward to seeing more of your work...the values and contrast were just enough to get your flair and style across...well done...
    ;)
    Thank you very much! I really love photography.. I can definately say it's changed the way I look at things... I don't have much time so I try to shoot a roll a week - but that normally turns into a roll every 2.5 weeks or so. My boyfriend and I have a darkroom that we set up in our bathroom every few months, but I'm really not comfortable in it yet. That's why these are scans of the negs rather than scans of the prints. I gave some prints as xmas presents this year (tight budget!), so I dont have them any more! hehe

I've been told by several people that I should tighten the crop on the picture of the chair and the picture of the helmet on the fence. I disagree because i think these two shots are all about the helmet or chair's relationship to the rest of the scene - so by cropping more closely you start looking at the details of these objects instead of the feeling they represent in the context of their surroundings) Does this make sense? I've never put my disagreements into words before. I better e-mail my friends this so they can read what I've been trying to tell them. lol

disagree with the friends

I think you said it exactly as I saw it....the realtionship of the chair and the world it "lives in" for that moment is the scene...I hardly think the subject was the chair..alone...

just keep going with it...and we KNOW about tight budget s and about giving (or deleting) originals and your left with a lot mor work...at least you still have negs...I screw up and I SCREW UP!

I can't tellyou how many pics I've resized and then gone on to delete the original...duh!
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thread Information