Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Lake

Lake

Something different for Bob in texas. :-)
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Re: Lake

Wow. I love the since of motion but the boat is still like frozen in time. I guess this is a composite?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I wish I had taken this shot. Near-perfect, IMO. There is just enough motion in the clouds. Had the sky and water been any silkier, the image would have lost its impact. And there is just enough detail in the tree-covered hill.

My only criticism on first pass is that halo around the foreground hill, particularly on the right. if you could tone it down just a tiny bit, that would improve what is already a killer image. And I'm going back and forth about whether or not I'd crop down a little.

As for the processing, I'm confused. It's a long exposure, but... an HDR, as well? Whatever it is, it works perfectly.

I could look at this image all day. My vote for feature of the week.

This may piss the captain
    but
    all I have to say is

Gorgeous!

All I can say is WOW!!...... That is a home run .

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    Hahaha!......

At first, I was taken in the by the scene....and would agree with the others that it is a very interesting and a good capture. However, once I started "decomposing" the image ...like some others did, I was not sure if I liked all of it ...for instance ...the clouds in the upper right are static while the rest of them are moving at high velocity ...the boat is static, the water is moving .etc....still - with all that said, it has impact as art - and for that, I say - "cool".

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Wow. I love the since of motion but the boat is still like frozen in time. I guess this is a composite?
    Thanks Greg. Yes this was a composite between a long exposure and one that was normal.

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton View Post
    I wish I had taken this shot. Near-perfect, IMO. There is just enough motion in the clouds. Had the sky and water been any silkier, the image would have lost its impact. And there is just enough detail in the tree-covered hill.

My only criticism on first pass is that halo around the foreground hill, particularly on the right. if you could tone it down just a tiny bit, that would improve what is already a killer image. And I'm going back and forth about whether or not I'd crop down a little.

As for the processing, I'm confused. It's a long exposure, but... an HDR, as well? Whatever it is, it works perfectly.

I could look at this image all day. My vote for feature of the week.
    Thanks Seth! I didn't see the halo before hand, that's easily fixed. I still have the layered photo. Yes it's a mix between a long exposure photograph and a regular shot. I've shot long exposure boat type shots before and I always hated the motion in the boats. So i took one long exposure and mixed another normal exposure shot of the same place. no no, not an hdr at all.

but
    all I have to say is

Gorgeous!
    LOL. thanks man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobintx View Post
    Thank Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by llewpics View Post
    At first, I was taken in the by the scene....and would agree with the others that it is a very interesting and a good capture. However, once I started "decomposing" the image ...like some others did, I was not sure if I liked all of it ...for instance ...the clouds in the upper right are static while the rest of them are moving at high velocity ...the boat is static, the water is moving .etc....still - with all that said, it has impact as art - and for that, I say - "cool".
    Thanks llew. Yeah, it's a mix between two shot. I can definitely fix the upper right. But the rest of the photo is just art. I want to do more like these where it's almost surreal.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Nice work. I agree about the minor technical issues but overall it's a super shot.
    I really like the mix of long and more standard length exposure. Creative and it sure works well!

GB1

Liban -- Works NICE, though I think the boat might be just a little too small in the frame w.r.t. the rest of the scene. The composite works here, but to an experienced photographer/post-processor it's obvious that something's up. That's OK, just saying.

For another variation, I would consider cropping out a healthy part of the sky, which may be a tad dominant here.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

but
    all I have to say is

Gorgeous!
    Oh yeah - you know I'm pissed!

So now, tell us why it's gorgeous. If it's that good, it's worthy of a little effort. This is a critique and not a compliment forum, after all.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

LOL

I saw that coming

let's see ...

I like that :
    - it is almost b&W with subtle color tones in the water, mountains and sky
    - the softness in the water and in the clouds, only some amount, not 100% blurred
    - nice details in the mountains
    - the boat is an obvious addition , but looks great with the contrast of the sail vs the overall dark scene
    - wonderful lake with the snowy mountains in the background

so there, it is gorgeous

how's that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobintx View Post
    Why? What is it that makes it work for you?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Not everything needs a critique, sometimes it just works . There I critiqued your critique

Real time, extended time and aeons of geological time ... portrayed at the same time.

The sky has extended time. The hues and tones are in harmony and imply a time of day.

The brighter objects are against dark elements and give excellent contrasts and depth.

A fine image indeed, that has benefited from the photographer having an excellent command of photographic techniques.

Congratulations LeeIs, for a head-turner. Traditionally pictorial images ... never cease to be appealing.

Warren.
    Last edited by WarrenH; 12-10-2012 at 06:00 PM.

wow, this is true scence ?, it's so wonderfull !

wow.. ! just awesome..

wow..just awesome....!

Thread Information