Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Kyle and Sabre

Kyle and Sabre

This is my son Kyle. Kyle is autistic and has a passion for animals. He is holding one of two Smilodons that he always brings along with him anywhere he goes, sort of like a comforting companion. (Smilodon is like a sabretooth bobcat or cougar) Over the years it had been difficult trying to photograph him as he never likes to make eye contact and usually does not keep look in the same direction for more than a second or so. Over the years he has become accustomed to my photography and has been more comfortable around the camera.

This is from a location shoot with a couple of 580EXll speedlites. I was very happy with the calm look and expression and wonder what the board feel about it from all points of view.
    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kyle and Sabre-kyle-sabre.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: Kyle and Sabre

Looks good, I like the processing on this. A1

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

His face somehow rivets my attention so well that even if there were anything distracting,(which there isn't), I don't think I'd notice.

I've had a lot of experience with autistic people and wish you peace, Gary!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

No critique necessary. A unique, timeless, perfect portrait. This gots to be a Sticky.

What is the background, btw?

And how were the lights set up?

Every reason to proud of this one Gary. A wonderful portrait that I'm sure you will treasure for years to come. Well Done my friend.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

This is a very powerful image, regardless of whether you shared the background information or not. I especailly like the contrast of the tough masculine Ushanka (hat) and jacket with the soft comforting Smilodon symbolizing the often difficult transition from child to manhood.

Quite an impressive portrait

Steve, thank you for mentioning the processing. I'm glad you feel it works

Frog, would love to know your experiences with them. Kyle is not severely affected and so he does communicate and can carry on a bit of a conversation, but only to me and those immediate family members that know him well enough to understand his attempts at communication. What I really like so much about this portrait is that he and I were able to capture a moment about him that no one will ever see unless you were to be around him and know him for a considerable amount of time. He just will not look at anyone he is not familiar with and even those he is somewhat comfortable with, he will rarely make eye contact for more than a second. He has a great sense of humor and is a real charmer, but only I and a select few people will ever know.
    thanks for the time and sentiment, frog.

Larry, thanks for commenting. I know you have a good appeciation for portraits of family as you come from such a wonderful looking and ever expanding family and we have had the pleasure of seeing your fine photos of your and the loved ones over the years.
    Much appreciated.

Dray, the background is a graffitti splashed wall up on the second floor of an old building. A quiet spot with great natural light and atmosphere. I further reduced the brightness of the bg and textured it somewhat.
    I had two 580EXll speedlites and my cycbersync radio tx units. It was difficult as i had no lightstands or diffusers, well I did have a stofen omnibounce diffuser and a lastolite mini softbox for hotshoe flash (approx 3x6") I used the little feet stands that come with the speedlites and had placed them on ledges that were eye level and far off. That did not work well, weird shadows across the face and stuff. Finally, i found a ledge on the wall just behind me that was about 8FT high and placed a main flash up there. The other was eye level and off to the side and behind me for fill. The light was my main concern with this portrait as i felt it still looked harsh but i was able to reduce the effects of that a bit in PP
    thanks for the comment

Jet, that is an interesting observation about the smilodon and the relation to his much more "mature" attire. He is a person that finds stability in routine and things he has become familiar with and attached to, and so as he is becoming a mature young man he has become a mix of the present and the childhood that he is trying to transition out of.
    This was my hat actually, lol but he loved it and I thought it looked much better on him than me and so it is his now. I have a new custom made Cossack style sherpa and leather hat on the way for myself as a bit of my own holiday gift

Armando, thanks for the comment

gary

When I first saw the background to this lovely shot I considered it to be a fabric and dare I say it, with bunnies ears all over. Fantastic detail everywhere. It is great that he is gaining in confidence in front of the camera but in this picture i feel there is evidence of a slight apprehension which in a way is a valuable way to be. Becoming over comfortable also becomes too cosy.
    Excellent as always Gary
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Incredible shot, love the expression in his eyes as he looks at you. It has been said to me that when the photographer and the subject have a mutual love, to photo can never be bad. I have seen this to be true many times over, as I am seeing in this photo also.
    I have a cousin who is autistic, however "back then" it didnt have a name.
    My instant thought was to call this "the look of love"

Wonderful shot Gary. I really like the BG. But the processing is perfect and you captured a bit of his personality. A shot to be treasured as Kyle grows up.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Gary,

Fantastic, wonderful image that says everything about a son's trust and love.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

The intensity of his gaze is captivating. At first glance, he kind of has that "game face" look the sports guys do for the camera - yet this is different. In part, maybe it because you shared his story, but there seems to be a vulnerability that comes through but yet there is the sense he's locked on you, and for this moment nothing else matters. Good job -- oh, and great photo.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Starting to think outside of the box icicle's Avatar

I think it works very well.

What does you son think of this fine Portrait?
    Feel Free to edit my photos, However please explain what you did to them.

Pretty much perfect. Love the textures.

Digging your as-of-late processing style.

Tuna

Gary,

This is an exceptional portrait of your son and I really do like the character that you managed to catch in this photo.

This is one photo that I am sure you will cherish forever.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Very pleasing, Gary.
    yoyo

Thanks for the comments.

Tom, yes Dray is certainly an inspiring one and has me seeing bunny ears on walls too. Actually, looking at the graffitti it does look like one can make out some ears or two. Your probably correct about seeing some apprehension, as that is something he always seems to carry around with him. He is on guard waiting to reject any unfamiliarity, but that has been easing up as he gets older.
    thanks for the time, Tom

Lori, yes autism was not in the vocabulary of many just several years back. There certainly is something to be said about a photographer and the subject being very comfortable with eachother and sharing a strong bond. However, Kyle is not willing to let me fuss with my lights for too long. He will grow impatient very quickly and so I need to get my stuff together fast lol. When I hear " got your picture, Dad?" I know the end is near

Greg, thanks. the location is awesome and i'm hoping to bring his sister there and then a few other subjects that I have in mind. Glad you like the PP.

Bill, thank you for the comment. I'm happy to know the portrait has come across well in your eyes.

Paula, yes, there is a certain intensity in his eyes and i was thrilled to finally lock it up with the lighting that I hoped to have.
    thanks for the time.

Icicle, yes he does actually like it. We looked at it together after I selected it from the set and showed him the end result. What he likes most is that his beloved smilodon is in the shot and his now favorite hat. I read to him some of the various comment from the thread and he was glowing with pride.

Thanks you for the comment, Daq7

Tuna, I'm glad you like the processing. Not too different than what I do for many other subjects, but for my portraits I have refined it and deviated a bit.

Roger, thank you for the comment. Yep, its good to have these photos to look back on and he and I will especially be proud of this one.

Thanks Yoyo.

gary

Gary my wife works with special needs kids and she picked it straight away, she absolutely adores this shot and I think its pretty good too.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Quote Originally Posted by hminx
    Gary my wife works with special needs kids and she picked it straight away, she absolutely adores this shot and I think its pretty good too.
    Thanks for that. Yes, I think someone with experience can tell in the eyes and expression. I know that my experience with my son has given me the insight and ability to see others that look seemingly "normal" out in public. It helps in that I can extend a bit more courtesy and patience and try to make an encounter all that more easy and less challenging

gary

I photograph a lot of ordinary people (i.e. not models), all present me with their own unique challenges. Of all the variety of people out there, autistic kids have far and beyond been the most extraordinary challenge to photograph. You managed quite well here, you must have been very well prepared and made that split second snap at just the right time, the eyes are perfect.

I also really like the slightly desaturated colors, and the way the background complements the fabrics of his clothes. As a small nit-pick, the shadow on his neck is slightly distracting. Understandably difficult with just a couple speedlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    I photograph a lot of ordinary people (i.e. not models), all present me with their own unique challenges. Of all the variety of people out there, autistic kids have far and beyond been the most extraordinary challenge to photograph. You managed quite well here, you must have been very well prepared and made that split second snap at just the right time, the eyes are perfect.

I also really like the slightly desaturated colors, and the way the background complements the fabrics of his clothes. As a small nit-pick, the shadow on his neck is slightly distracting. Understandably difficult with just a couple speedlights.
    Yes, it was quite a lot of snapping and telling him to look at me for a moment and that sort of thing. Fortunatley it came together. Yes, the shadow on the neck was from the speedlite high up and behind me. I have to set things up very quickly with him as he loses his patience fast. I have since reduced the intensity of the shadow by softening its edges and lightening it up a bit more. I think the final has imporoved. thanks for pointing it out, and for the time to comment.

gary

GB1

A very classical shot indeed. Your kid is definitely getting used to your camera. Well done, Gary.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Don't know what to say really other than i like it a lot and, as has been said before, the textures in the image are great.

Thread Information