Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Just a snap-shot

A quick snap-shot I took when we were evacuated for the wild fires in Texas...
    Name:  hjgj.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  10.6 KB

Re: Just a snap-shot

Quote Originally Posted by SallyAllie View Post
    A quick snap-shot I took when we were evacuated for the wild fires in Texas...
    Name:  hjgj.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  10.6 KB
    This photo has a lot of atmosphere but it's also got a lot of empty, wasted space in the top of the frame. With a photo like this you have to really think about what it is you're trying to convey to the viewer and then focus on on that. In my opinion that would probably be the road, the fence and those smoky trees down the road. You only need a little bit of that sky to show how smoky it is. Also, as a general rule, you don't want to put the horizon line right in the middle of the photo. Try to compose so your horizon follows the rule-of-thirds - placing it in the top or bottom third of the image. That will give you a much more dynamic composition, that keeps the eye moving around and discovering new things. Putting the horizon line in the middle splits the space and sort of traps the eye in either the top or the bottom. Take a good look at this photo and try to see if that makes sense.

How come you're posting such small images? I'd really like to see them a lot bigger. There very hard to judge at this small size.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks for your review! Yes that made a lot of sense! I don't know why they are downloading so small. I will try to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyAllie View Post
    Thanks for your review! Yes that made a lot of sense! I don't know why they are downloading so small. I will try to fix that.
    I'm glad that helped! You obviously have an artistic eye and want to share what you see. I am glad you found us and are appreciating the feedback we're able to give you

What kind of camera are you using? What resolution do you have it set for?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

A Canon EOS 600D, except for this one. This one was taken with a phone.

Thread Information