Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Jessamyn

Jessamyn

I'm on the fence here with this one. I love the pose and her look, but not sure it was enough.
    what think ye?
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jessamyn-jessamyn-337.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: Jessamyn

what was your focal length, Gary... looks a bit distorted... were you shooting wide? Here knees are kindda distracting... her left foot position too is a bit awkward. there is like a greenish hue on the side of here legs.(don't know if its my monitor)

It's not a glamor photo but it does tell a story about a time and a certain type of woman.

This one feels a bit under-saturated and over-contrasted or clarified. I'm not crazy about the processing, but I'm at a loss as to suggestions for improvement. The eyes look great, but the hard shadows on the lower face aren't doing her any favors, same with the knee caps (as Phil mentioned).

Thanks for the feedback here. i agree with most of the comments, especially the post processing. I was trying to bring out a grainy hard contrast sort of split tone look but it really was about trying to salvage an image i thought might have had potential.
    Phil, this was shot with a 50mm at slightly higher than models eye level. i think getting a bit lower would have solved the distortion. No room to shoot full body with anything longer.

i have another one with her in this costume. i might try a different processing approach and see what happens

Don, i do like the feel of it too, but there are too many issues with it to make the final cut i feel.
    Thanks

gary

I think its an acquired taste, but the overall tone/color saturation fit well within the subject. From the relatively short time I have been lurking around here, it also (to me) is recognizable as one of your photos (Which is a good thing)

I could picture this as a full size wall poster in my bedroom. Hopefully my wife wouldn't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretm1
    I think its an acquired taste, but the overall tone/color saturation fit well within the subject. From the relatively short time I have been lurking around here, it also (to me) is recognizable as one of your photos (Which is a good thing)

I could picture this as a full size wall poster in my bedroom. Hopefully my wife wouldn't mind.
    Thanks, Bret. I do keep coming back to this. . .something that hooks me on it. I will most likely revisit this in a later time and work out a bit of the concerns that were brought up here about it particularly the tones/hues on some of the skin areas
    Thanks for the Time

gary

The image quality is very good. the issue is a combination of things has to do with the model herself. She is short and the barrel dress makes her look even shorter. With shorter models, I'd lower my shooting level to shoot from down up to make them look taller.

I've looked at this several time now and my only conclusion is that it may be a little dark. Otherwise, I love it. I think the PP is very appropriate to the subject. Were you trying to transform her into a glamour queen? If not, then I think it works really well. And I love the perspective distortion. Adds edginess, which, again, is very appropriate here. Don't mind the left foot or the green. My guess is that you were going for a cross-processed look.

And as always, the lighting rocks. You must divulge what you did!

Quote Originally Posted by Asmarlak
    The image quality is very good. the issue is a combination of things has to do with the model herself. She is short and the barrel dress makes her look even shorter. With shorter models, I'd lower my shooting level to shoot from down up to make them look taller.
    Good observations and suggestions. She is short but in addition, she has very short and somewhat thick legs. A lower angle could help as you suggest.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton
    I've looked at this several time now and my only conclusion is that it may be a little dark. Otherwise, I love it. I think the PP is very appropriate to the subject. Were you trying to transform her into a glamour queen? If not, then I think it works really well. And I love the perspective distortion. Adds edginess, which, again, is very appropriate here. Don't mind the left foot or the green. My guess is that you were going for a cross-processed look.

And as always, the lighting rocks. You must divulge what you did!

Thanks, Dray. There is something that pulls me back to this, so I will be giving this some revisiting.
    Not sure how the color tones got to her skin, although i'm starting to have a hunch and its something i tried in editing that i never did before. . .probably won't do it again lol

hmmm, lighting. i keep changing my light set ups after every few shots and poses. . .adjustments really as i look in the lcd.
    Basically, a 30x60" softbox, with grid at camera right about 45 deg. from the subject perhaps even a bit more to the side really. A 24x24" box over the large soft box to get the hair and face. The larger sofbo is pretty low to the floor and can miss the upper head and hair. So, even with the large softbox i find myself piggy backing the boxes at time. A 20x20" softbox over subjects right shoulder area illuminating her hair and rim, No lights firing at the gray seamless.

gary

Without reading all of the comments...I think a little more space at the bottom is needed.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I would say some background lighting to offer a wee bit more separation. I think everything else works here, given that it's not meant to be a "lovely" capture. I like it.
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Thread Information