Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

"Izzy's Brother" - Red Tail Boa

One thing a lot of people are surprised to hear out of me is that I have boas... lots of them in fact! Last year I had my first success (with my first attempt) at breeding them after owning and researching the species for about three years.

If any of you out there are familiar with the reptile world, these are Colombian Red Tail Boas and the litter was from a beautiful normal boa to an "Aby" line salmon (a specific line of hypomelanism). There were twelve healthy babies and no still borns. Unforutnately, the economy took a turn for the worse right around the time they were born. New pets, especially reptiles, took a hit so I still have eight of the twelve babies, seven of which are still looking for their permanent homes.

Izzy is the beautiful little lady I held back for myself (I'll get a picture of her sometime, too), and this is one of her brothers... Izzy's Brother at least sounds better than #6 :blush2: lol (I tried not to name them as to not get too attached).

Anyway, I'm used to taking good pictures of the snakes to post on boa forums that show off color and detail, but it's a little more difficult to get an artistic take on them. I'd love some feedback to try to get some good shots of them.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and...
    Nikon D90 + 18-105mm VR kit lens
    Shutter Speed: 1/125 second
    F Number: F/5.6
    Focal Length: 105 mm
    ISO Speed: 1250
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Izzy's Brother" - Red Tail Boa-dsc_0133rr2web2.jpg  
    "You might be a photographer if... you turn a light on in the morning and you curse your eyes for not stopping down fast enough."

My Gallery

Re: "Izzy's Brother" - Red Tail Boa

ahhhhh....columbian commons....really cool snakes ....owned several myself over the years.....

Nice shot too!

I've always liked to catch mine yawning (popping their jaws back in place)....or when there is only a foot (or tip of tail) left goin' down after a meal

Re: "Izzy's Brother" - Red Tail Boa

Doesn't seem strange to me. Of course, If it's not a snake or a bug I probably haven't pointed my camera at it

If I had to criticize it, I'd say the OOF loop in the background is a bit distracting because the pose isn't relaxed and symmetrical - the curves going in different directions draws my eyes.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Thread Information