Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Izanami

Emerge

Looking for feedback.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Izanami-masae-2214-.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: Izanami

Love it, very nice work. I like the fogginess and sharpness blended in giving it a nice personal feel

This has a great "rear curtain" feel to it, but not crazy about shooting straight up the nostrils. (personal preference thing)

First of all. Love the finish. Great colours. Very pastely. Soft tones. really good. Her face and skin tones are also great. Just overall a very lovely mood. Would love to see a series that have this kinda finish.

The only thing that bugs me is the hair. I think a sleeker (actually super sleek) more controlled hair would've made this far better.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

nice treatment... the thing that bothers me is she is slightly turning her head to the right which distorts the form of her face... also the lines on here neck is a little distracting.

GB1

What the heck? Very interesting post processing, seems like a cross between reality and a cartoon, and that works here IMO. The lips, cheeks, eyes and neck are very attractive. Not sure I could add any advice to make it better - it seems spot on for what you were aiming for. PS - did you pull her away from the wall socket after snapping the image (lol)?

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Great portrait. There is a lot of character in this one. The phrase I come up with is "Glamor In Disarray". Nice unique angle, lighting is spot on and I love the single braid that seems to anchor the whole thing.

The sharpness is astounding, the colors are gorgeous, the lighting is perfect... and, in many ways, I feel that this represents a major step up for you. Very, very impressive.

I do agree with jet here, though, and wish there were other takes I could see where her head wasn't pointing upwards. This pose makes her look a little like a contestant you caught on some variant of American Idol. A very cool look, but it does seem that you caught her in the act - of something or other.

If you don't have any other takes - or if this was the runaway winner - it's still awesome work. I'm just reaching here. I'll be the first to say that I could never do anything like this and that is really fantastic work overall. You're zeroing right in on Oleg status with each new shoot and it's really exciting to witness.

IVAN...thanks and glad you feel the treatment/processing went over well.

Jim...I know whatya mean. I have my peeves as well and I agree the shooting up the nose is not usually a good thing. I did feel that with her large cheekbones and small nose it was one of the exceptions...not ideal though...

Liban....Thank you, I do wish to continue with this type of treatment with some other subjects and projects I have in mind. I can imagine what you are seeing with the hair sleekererer :P and some of that snake-like treatment was from PP but I did re edit and fill in more of the hair since you posted your comment. I doubt if its near what you had in mind but I think it is a bit better. Much appreciated

Phil...thanks for the thoughts. I did consider the crease lines in her neck but decided to leave them for a more natural appearance...for better or worse

GB...lol, I could have sworn you started off with "what the neck"? I appreciate your thoughts on this and I assure you no one was hurt, mangled or otherwise mistreated in any way during the making of this ....thing

Arne...Thank you, and yep the title was a sort of quick grab "Izanami" is a Japanese mythological goddess of creation and death who died while giving birth to the son of the God of fire...she was then brought back to the world....etc. I wanted the feeling of Emerging, and I have since renamed it simply "Emerge" Thanks for the time

Seth...Many thanks for those good...great words. I agree the pose was not ideal, and neither was the lighting for it but it had many other aspects that I considered important such as the extended neck and the feeling of emerging, as well as the eye contact being close but not directly at camera. As you know from our conversations I had wanted to get back to the artistic side of things and have been inspired by many including yourself.

Admittedly I posted this image with a big lump in my throat and fingers crossed....there were some particular concerns i had about this and none of them were mentioned, well one was but in a most positive way and so there has been a good sigh of relief thus far.

Thanks for the time and the help

gary

It is almost silly for me to look for faults here because it is so good.
    It is so suggestive.

If I was to nit pick I would say that the image does not need the fog and I would not have left the lock of hair on her shoulder.
    I have no problems with the nostrils at all here because the angle also provides us with a great view of a terrific mouth and lips and of course the excellent eyelashes.

I can see this projected at the end of the catwalk where all those lovely clothes horses strut their stuff.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by Overbeyond
    It is almost silly for me to look for faults here because it is so good.
    It is so suggestive.

If I was to nit pick I would say that the image does not need the fog and I would not have left the lock of hair on her shoulder.
    I have no problems with the nostrils at all here because the angle also provides us with a great view of a terrific mouth and lips and of course the excellent eyelashes.

I can see this projected at the end of the catwalk where all those lovely clothes horses strut their stuff.

Good to know your thoughts on this, Tom. I definitely felt the same as you do about the braided strand of hair on the shoulder but somehow over time it seems to be growing on me, although ultimately I think it would have been better without it. Did not notice it at the time of the shoot.
    I agree about the looking up angle in that there are other aspects to it positive that help justify it, for me.
    The fog...I kept switching on and off the layer I created it on to see what I thought both ways and it just kept adding a bit more mood somehow.
    One of my main concerns was the neck....it was extended and adjusted until I felt it looked longer...naturally. It was not mentioned and so I think it went over.

Thanks as always, Tom

gary

Thread Information