Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Inspector

That dude with a camera

Inspector

I wanted to shot this while the man was looking forward, I wanted to have just the hat, no face, but then he looked to the side and I got this.
    Spent quite some time burning and a little dodging. Heavy burning on everything, but the sky, crosswalk, subject and building on the left, to have a triangle, or V, of lightness.

Sony DSLR-A100
    1/400
    f/11.0
    28 mm
    ISO 100

Re: Inspector

I like your idea. Inspector you mean like private investigator type? Like inspector gadget? I like the tones of the photo, though they might be heavy on the black side. I think maybe you shouldn't have burned it as much. Especially to the right of him. I think the black areas of this photo are so intense that they are competing with the subject for attention. If you can make them less prominent then by default you'll make him stand out a bit more.

Another thing is having the subject that low in the frame isn't a usual type of shot. If his head was more towards the upper thirds rather than the lower thirds that might have made this stronger.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Funny, the first thing that came to my mind was "Gadget," as well.

I actually like the framing - and his expression and "pose." I'm glad he looked to the right. And I like that the blacks are so deep. But I do agree that it would be nice if there were a little more room on the bottom, just as an option.

My big complaint is the sky. 1) What are those rings and 2) that weird ghosting around the tops of the buildings? (Looks like the handiwork of gaussian blur.)

Were it my photo, I would try to darken the sky, too, I think.

Another great catch on the streets of Beantown.
    Last edited by draymorton; 11-29-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Looks like the scene of an old movie, not a composition I would have used but it does look interesting

good catch

processing / quality has some artifacts, like the circles in the sky, probably due to uploading it to the web ?

I'm puzzle how this was shot at 28mm f/11 and the background is blurred, was that done in PP as well ? if so , you did a great job!

That dude with a camera

Thank you. I was thinking about Inspector Gadget, and older about to retire inspector Gadget.

I only noticed the the burning marks when I made some 8x10 prints, now it is very clear, do not know how I managed to miss that... The main reason for the marks, is that I had a low feathering, so I was burning circles.

No, the background was not blurred in PP.

This is how it should be
    Last edited by Alexandre da Veiga; 11-29-2012 at 04:35 PM.

The image was leaving much room for imagination, until I read Inspector Gadget. I was imagining revisiting the cold war and secret police following evil agents. The black voids augmented the sinister nature of the image ... there is a lot that can be changed by an explanation of an image.

This is a fine shot. Multi dimensional and well suited by the use of black-and-white. The use of black-and-white, had me thinking of much earlier times than, now ... about the spy that came in from the cold.

Warren.
    Last edited by WarrenH; 12-03-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Thread Information