Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Smile Insect pictures...

Hi,

Here are three insect pictures that I have taken during the last few weeks. (I’m still learning).:thumbsup:

I would very much appreciate opinions on them, please be honest.
    Last edited by A.M.D.A.; 09-17-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Re: Insect pictures...

I like your compositions. Good eye and feel for a pleasing balance The first two shots I find the subjects to be on the soft side. These should be sharp. The first shot of the bee in the flower looks as though your focus was at the front of the flower and so the bee is actually a bit off the focus point. Backgrounds are nicely blurred and non distracting. Everything here looks very good, aside from the soft focus of the first two images.
    Good work
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I like your compositions. Good eye and feel for a pleasing balance The first two shots I find the subjects to be on the soft side. These should be sharp. The first shot of the bee in the flower looks as though your focus was at the front of the flower and so the bee is actually a bit off the focus point. Backgrounds are nicely blurred and non distracting. Everything here looks very good, aside from the soft focus of the first two images.
    Good work
    Thanks for replying gahspidy,

I think that the first two pictures are soft-looking because I used close-up filters, I didn't use a close-up filter for the wasp.

The bee (hover-fly) does seem to be a little out of focus, the camera must have focused on the flower.

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

A.M.D.A., I like the shots and agree with the focus points. I'd love to know what lens you used and if you were using a tripod or handheld? Also did you put something green behind the spider web to accentuate the web or just lucky with the background and distance to web?
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by shootme
    A.M.D.A., I like the shots and agree with the focus points. I'd love to know what lens you used and if you were using a tripod or handheld? Also did you put something green behind the spider web to accentuate the web or just lucky with the background and distance to web?
    Thanks for replying shootme,

~My Panasonic DMC-FZ7K was used for all three shots.

#1.For the hover-fly picture I used a Kenko +1 close-up filter, no tripod or any other extra support. (LCD screen).

#2.The spider one, I used Kenko +2 and +4 close-up filters. The green blur is completely natural, it is leaves and grass about 1-3 meters away. I did use a tripod. (Viewfinder).

#3. The wasp picture, I used a UV Haze-1 filter, I keep it on protecting the lens most of the time. I had no close-up filters then and I didn’t use a tripod. (Viewfinder).

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Then I can only say, brilliant very well done, you've got a skill there. I look forward to see more over time.
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

Thread Information