Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    "Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Industrial Tulips

Comments & Suggestions appreciated.
    Ilford SFX 200 with Red 25 Filter, Viogtlander 50mm (new lens!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Industrial Tulips-09industrialtulip.jpg   Industrial Tulips-010industrialtulip.jpg  

Re: Industrial Tulips

I like the idea for the shot and while they are both pretty good, i really feel the second shot is better. The dof is great and I like the feel of the composition better. The sky with clouds and telephone poles and point of view makes a more effectivescene. I also like the grainy sky. The first I feel is too cluttered and busy.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I like the second shot alot better than the first, as well. I am distracted from the tulips in the second shot by the beautiful sky in the background. Great shots anyway.

GB1

Congrats - It takes a lot of guts to use black and white on flowers! But I am pleasantly surprised at how they contrast withh their surroundings. Makes me feel like trying this myself.

Both shots of the flowers are sharp, well lit and have a good amt of contrast. The backdrops in both seem to me to be somewhat unbecomming of the subject, but I'm wondering what you could have done about it - other than not take the shots? The second's DOF is excellant technique. If only you could pick up the flowers and more them to a nice scenic area (sounds like a PS project for you).

GB

I like the harder contrast of the light coming through the tulips in the second shot. Very interesting. I think I'd spot out that white dot in the center distance.
    ----------------------------

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments...This was one of me favorites from the weekend.
    Chunk - I saw that spot and was going to fix that and post one without it, but I really like having it in there as it draws you to the furthest point in the picture. I can't recall why I did not wait for the train to get closer or out of view...but there it is, bright light and all.
    GB1- Well my whole point in taking the photo was the contrast between the flowers and the harsh industrial scene. One of my themes that I try to keep in all my photos is contrast, whether it be light and dark or beauty and ugliness. That's why I love black and white ;)
    Ian - Thanks for the advice.
    Gary - I hope to get back there and try again. All the stuff I was using was new so I pretty happy with results. I'm glad you like the idea and concept / composition, now if only I could get the equipment to work with what I want to accomplish - correct exposure and contrast. Using a manual camera is frustrating as hell, but I feel my photography is improving by learning the hard way.
    Cheers.

doh - I forgot to see if this is any better than the others?
    No bright light Chunk ;)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Industrial Tulips-010industrialtulip1.jpg  

I'm having a tough time choosing between shot 2, and the most recent one you have posted. I think I'll go with the most recent as my favourite, I prefer the distribution of the flowers in this one. It is a nicely composed shot, simple, but with enough going on to hold your interest.

regards,

matt

The most recent one you posted is my favourite. The foreground flowers are great and it's a nice moral contrast between something beautiful and industry.

Nice shooting, and great black and white,

Jared

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by PlantedTao
    Comments & Suggestions appreciated.
    Ilford SFX 200 with Red 25 Filter, Viogtlander 50mm (new lens!)
    I love your idea here but (I hate to say this), neither of these feel quite right to me.
    In the first one, the background is too cluttered and distract from the tulips, despite the fact that they are superbly exposed.

I think that there is a lot to love about the second picture. The background is superb, the exposure is superb. Heck, I should find this picture to be superb. Unfortunatelly, the tulips feel misplaced. I don't like how they are cropped at the right and at the bottom. The flowers need more breathing space in these two directions.

Seb

Thanks Seb -
    That's good advice. I'm going to try a reshoot this weekend and go over there with my 35mm lens and see if I can't get some more room around those tulips. I try some different perspectives too.
    I was so happy with the exposure that I really wanted these pictures to work. It seems these photos didn't achieve what I wanted them to by the reaction on this forum. But I did get some killer advice.

Thanks to everyone once again for taking time to comment, Cheers.

Hi,
    Ver good idea. I agree with Seb's suggestions. Looking forward to the new shots.
    yoyo

Thread Information