Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

I'll throw myself into the gauntlet: "Waiting"

Waiting

Been a while...
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Re: I'll throw myself into the gauntlet: "Waiting"

Welcome back, Seb. Always great to see your posts.

The first thinkg that strikes me about this is the composition...it works. It just feels right, like there is a good balance to the whole. I like the bus doors lined up with the frame and the rest of the image slanting backward. The diagonal shadow of the tail of the bus almost slices the image in half, but not quite and rather frames the man in the area of the bus in a seemingly deliberate way somehow. I like the grain here a lot. Well done. LR 3? (the grain filter in that is great)

The visual is good here, although I'm not feeling any story or connection to the man. I would imagine he is waiting for something but I'm not really drawn in to wondering any further about it. Perhaps another bus, or for this one to move so he can cross....

I'm wondering if seeing his face a bit would help.

Good to see ya here, hope all is well by you.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Seb I really like it. It does set a nice mood. The black and white works well here. It almost looks like two images merged with the out of focus background on the left seperated, by the shadow of the bus and everything on the right in focus. The placement of the woman in the bus window is perfect. Nice timing there.
    My only nit pic would be the go.com being so close to the guys head, but it was there.
    Nice to see you posting. I guess this was with the Nex?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Nice to see you posting here again Seb.

I like the mood of this. Love the way the shadow of the bus aligns with the back there and enclosed the figure in the shadow. I see this as two distinct areas for that reason. light and shadow and they both work for me, separate yet when put together make the image.

well done.

Edit: I see my points were pretty much covered. I posted that without reading Gary's or Greg's take on this.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Very nice street shot. Added tension/mystery with the angled view and slight motion effect throughout the image.

Tuna

Thanks guys, appreciate all the feedback.

It's funny, this was shot with my NEX-5 from the hip as I was quickly walking to the train, so all the elements that you guys mention that work are pure accidents. The overall framing is intentional, and I think I captured the mood of the moment, but the woman in the door, etc. was simply serendipitous.

Thanks again.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information