Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

I want cake too.

This is a snapshot I took at my neice's birthday party. What I really like about this shot is that it isn't the girl in the photo's birthday. She's just dreaming about eating the cake.

-Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I want cake too.-img_1698-small.jpg  

Re: I want cake too.

The young lady is terrific but the birthday cake needs candles, regardless of whose birthday it is, and the left side needs to be cropped out. I think that makes an entirely different picture.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Digital Traveler

Cute, cute, cute. Maybe you could crop about a quarter of the left side out to really zoom in on the girl's expression.

The umbrella post has got to go. It would've been nice with candles on the cake like CF said. Actually, her expression is so nice that the picture with her alone would be strong enough for me.
    Last edited by poker; 07-24-2006 at 02:00 AM.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Great colors. The pink in her jacket, the green in the background, the purple in the foreground, they compliment nicely. How do you feel her skin tone turned out?

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Hi Jeff,,,,this little girl can stand alone without the cake and the distracting clothes hoist on the left...I would crop away one third from the left and turn this image into a deep pic instead of wide..Her skintones look a tad yellow but it could be my monitor..Good use of DOF too..
    IMHO this image would look great as a B/W..

Jurgen
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, here it is again with the colors a bit cooler, and a square crop, how does this one look?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I want cake too.-1698-square-small.jpg  

Jeff, what do you think of the flesh tones in the original?

Devin,
    Looking at it closely, her hand does look a little blotchy in the top one, I tried to create a warmer feeling with it, but might have gone a bit too far. The bottom image is "as shot", I think somewhere in between is what I'm looking for.

-Jeff

Ok my skills in photoshop are juvenile so I I'm not good at explaining color correction. Last month I bought huge book on color correction. I haven't really looked at it though.

anyhow, I think this is a shot definitely worth playing with until you get the colors you want. While playing around with the color settings, try to get somthing closer to the bottom photo.

GB1

Jeff - I much prefer the original shot. The colors and density is very good. But I would sharpen it up a little in a digital software application. The cake isn't so obviously a cake (?), I wish it had some candles to help me Many you can add a few digitally???

Great expression on her there - I luv the shot.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information