Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Beware: Mom With Camera

I kept passing this one over....

...but I dunno, it's growing on me now. What do you think?

Believe it or not, this is pretty much the original crop. I just took off some dead space on the sides.

Kate

Very appealing image...

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosCubed

Believe it or not, this is pretty much the original crop. I just took off some dead space on the sides.

This is a very appealing image, one that I would treasure if of my child. Your crop is interesting and I'm a real fan of tight image crops but I feel that a little more breathing room on the left would prove to be a more balanced and pleasing photo. The hat is a real scene stealer adds a lot to the photograph and is well exposed. For my money I would like to see a little more pop in the childs face, it just seems a little flat to me. Just my 2 cents worth. All and all a very nice image one to treasure of your child. When your kids are in their 20's like mine these photo truely do become treasures. Nice work.

Seb

Hello Kate,

I am not into childrens photography at all but your composition seems beautiful to me.
    The only things that disturbs me are:

The eyes, which are too dark, especially the right one.

the mouth, it seems (to my untrained eyes toward that kind of photos) that the contrast betwen the teeth and the mouth is unrealistic. The mouth itself just seems way too dark which lead to an uncomfortable effect.

Then again, I am absolutely not trained at childs photography but this is my overall feeling toward your picture, for what it's worth.

regards

Seb

Hi Kate,
    This is a great shot. You captured the baby's expression very well. The oblique hat makes the shot more dynamic. I am a bit uncomfortable with the hand becasue it is isolated from the baby.
    All the best.
    yoyo

I think as for the lighting, it was a pretty oogy day. Can't expect too much "pop" when the weather is drab! I could try and lighten it up with PS though, which I might do. I'm surprised you think the eyes are *too* dark, since there are catchlights in both of them...the right one is shaded more, because of the hat. As for his teeth.. :lol - they are well in the scope of natural contrast, I promise. Even in color, they have a pretty harsh contrast of dark rosy pink with the white teeth. I didn't do anything to the contrast of this pic other than auto adjustment in PS.
    Kate

Yoyo...

I think the hand is what bothers me the most as well....
    Kate

Seb
    I think as for the lighting, it was a pretty oogy day. Can't expect too much "pop" when the weather is drab! I could try and lighten it up with PS though, which I might do. I'm surprised you think the eyes are *too* dark, since there are catchlights in both of them...the right one is shaded more, because of the hat. As for his teeth.. :lol - they are well in the scope of natural contrast, I promise. Even in color, they have a pretty harsh contrast of dark rosy pink with the white teeth. I didn't do anything to the contrast of this pic other than auto adjustment in PS.
    Hello Kate,

Indeed, the eyes do catch light. Perhaps my impression comes from the fact that the child have dark eyes, which I assume must be more difficult to deal with.

It is still a pleasing and very lively picture.

Regards

Seb

The framing and sharpness of this shot, coupled with the moment are what makes it really appealing. Wouldn't change a thing.

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information