Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Hovering Carpenter Bee

Tricky little devils to capture. Back lit afternoon sun. Shot out of a second story window.
    This bee would fly about 6 feet in front of me, hover for about 1 to 2 seconds then disapear out of sight, only to reapear when it felt like it. I manual focused all 60+ multi exposure images. This was a lot more difficult then I had thought it would be. Any suggestions on how I can improve my technique? C&C is also welcome.
    Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hovering Carpenter Bee-hovering-carpenter-bee.jpg  

Re: Hovering Carpenter Bee

I'm impressed!!
    A whole new meaning to BIF

I'll probably only crop a bit from the left and from the top

sorry no suggestions how to make it any easier

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

The image is a bit too blown out (probably caused by auto exposure against a dark background) and noisy (probably a high crop). While I like the somewhat dreamy look of the wing motion, the amount of blur is too much for me. A slightly faster shutter speed might have at least frozen the head of the bee.

Not easy for sure. You did right by looking for a pattern to the flight and focusing manually. Shoot as close as possible (to crop as little as possible). If you are shooting with a zoom, track a flying subject at the wide setting and zoom in at the last possible second, refocus, and shoot.

The easiest method is to shoot a subject just as it approaches/leaves a food source.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

A bee, hanging out 6ft away from you, two stories up?
    How cool is that?
    I know I would've tried for the shot.........
    So, good effort.
    If you can get him to come back, try a tripod and remote shutter trip.
    Once you have an exposure, bracket around some and see what works.
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

Thanks for looking, and thanks for the ideas. My intent here is to improve my capture ability of somewhat spur of the moment encounters with unpredictable subjects. I have to be able to follow the subject, frame, focus, and shoot in 1 to 2 seconds. Maybe my expectations are just too high but I want this to be as natural as I can get. So attempting to lure these guys somehow won't work for me. A tripod? I'm hanging half way out of the window and I need a bunch more mobility that that system can provide here. When it stops raining I'll try again, possibly with a flash and/or a higher ISO. The challenge is what floats my boat here. I just have to learn to overcome the obstacals that I can overcome.
    Ed

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NKP68
    ...Maybe my expectations are just too high but I want this to be as natural as I can get. So attempting to lure these guys somehow won't work for me. ...
    Who said anything about luring them? They gotta eat too - go to where they go to eat.

Go to any park pond and you'll find loads of creatures flying around if you want more practice and more obstacles.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thread Information