Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Houseboat? Boathouse?

Drove by and thought this looked like a great shot ....... Of course.. that would be 'my' opinion..

Otto: HouseBoat

n8

Re: Houseboat? Boathouse?

Interesting scene and nice color. The diffusion is an unexpected choice for the scene in my opinion, but I think it fits ok. I'd like to see some detail in the sky.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

I really like the idea, the colors and the diffusion. The only suggestion I would have for improving it is to cut off some at the top - just below where the roof of the building starts to slant ...all the white space above there seems to pull the eye away from the subject. I would also use some light vignetting around the edges to bring the focus to the boat, where the interest is.

The only suggestion I have, like llewpics, would be to think about cropping down past the edge of the roof, but it's kind of hard to tell because the image is so large on my display that I have to keep scrolling up and down. This would be both for compositional reasons and because there's some kind of of weird reverse halo running along the top of the roof (and the side of the building, for that matter). Makes me wonder what you did to achieve the effect you did, which is awesome.

Beautifully done, otherwise. I love the fact that there is little detail in the sky. Works well for this image in a way I can't really put into words.

Agree with the others about the crop. I see the top being cut down to half way between the rain gutter and the top of the pine tree. Love the processing, was this done manually or with a Nik plug-in?

I have a feeling that the suggestion to crop a bit from the top is because it's being viewed on the computer screen. Imagine it's as big as a wall paper and viewed from a distance, then the cropping may not be necessary OK, may be it's my monitor :blush2:

Anyhow, I believe it's tilted and I would like it cropped a bit from the right (even if it's printed large and from a distance).

Thread Information