Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Solitude

Solitude

All feedback appreciated.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Re: Solitude

You have created a dark and foreboding mood here Liban and I like it. But somehow the guy walking on the structure is not working for me. The structure is great and I fancy seeing a pair of Greg's trainers or some white piece of clothing sitting there, thus adding a bit of mystery to the atmosphere.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

GB1

Liban,

A good try and I applaud the creative idea, but I agree that the fellow doesn't quite work here, although I am unsure why. Maybe because he seems too busy doing what he's doing, and not contemplative enough. The top of his head is also too close to the horizon, so geometrically it is not ideal.

I also can't help but wonder how pretty this one would be in full color?

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Awesome !

To me the guy on the structure adds to the photo, so it is not just an empty structure, there is actually someone walking on it

is it a long exposure or what's the deal with all the horizontal lines in the water and clouds ?

Thanks for the feedback guys. appreciate it.

Armando, no, it wasn't a long exposure, but i made it look like one, by applying a motion blur.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Havana Cuba Photography

Outstanding! The balance between the darks and the lights, the pull between dark and light. Excellent concept and idea.

The dark texture of the water on the right, dark side has more motion blur, which makes the lighting look more artificial. The motion blur seems also really exaggerated and wide, very straight, maybe a tripod motion pan? Horizontal motion blur PP? There could be a smoother transition between the two sides as well, coming into the center. The sky has a lot of what appears to be very wide horizontal motion trails, but it doesn't look like cloud movement, it looks like something in PP maybe, similar to the water. Great as is but I'd personally like the scene to be more believable, but understandably I think you were going for a certain level of abstract and fantasy in the shot. How many exposures went into the making of this?
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

hey charlie, thanks for the indepth analysis man. i only used one shot and yes i did the motion blur in PP to give it that whimsical fantasy look thank u.
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

This is great. Motion blur was a smart choice... different look from a long exposure.... much more of a pronounced horizontal flow... more abstract/painterly than if you did the 10-stop ND thing.The figure needs to be there for me. And the b/w - whether it was in-camera or a conversion - works very nicely.

Reminds me of Brian Day's time traveler series. Well done.

Thanks Seth.
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

Well after a dozen or so looks I would have to say the man stays. Another element other than the man could have worked but I think this is fine as is. Very moody foreboding as mentioned. Nice work. Is he really standing on the dock or PSed in?
    You could frame it and hang it in my house and I wouldn't complain at all.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

He is really standing there. The only thing I did other than the B&W conversion is smoothed the water. oh and him and my other buddy went to the tip and were telling me to come over there. what a joke. lol. never! that thing was only a foot wide (if that) and me with my camera etc.. Not a chance. so I stayed on this side and didn't get a shot of the opposite view.
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

Quote Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
    He is really standing there. The only thing I did other than the B&W conversion is smoothed the water. oh and him and my other buddy went to the tip and were telling me to come over there. what a joke. lol. never! that thing was only a foot wide (if that) and me with my camera etc.. Not a chance. so I stayed on this side and didn't get a shot of the opposite view.
    Yep, I aint getting out on anything like that anymore.lol
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Yep, I aint getting out on anything like that anymore.lol
    oh yeah man. I understand. btw. how's the recovery? full now?
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

I am going to go against what everyone else said because I think it was just too dark. I played the the shadows and highlights a little and came up with this. Probably nobody but me will like it but you said "Feel free to edit my artwork for critique purposes. I don't mind. " So here it is, Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solitude-contemplation3.jpg  
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    Probably nobody but me will like it but...
    I think you're right ;)

I think it's a tad light for my liking. but thanks for taking the time to show me what you thought would look good.
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

I actually find the original to be a tad too dark for my liking, maybe somewhere between the original and Jeff's edit? Other than that I love the feeling and the composition of the image.
    Photographer/Graphic Artist
    Portfolio: www.fjaviergil.com

Thread Information