Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

He dreamed of bigger water. . .2

A retake of my first attempt and a memorial. Our little "Roadrunner" went to the big fish bowl in the sky shortly after this was taken. Ridiculously old for a Beta, we had him for almost 3 years. So there won't be anymore retakes. Still I'm happier with this image than the first effort.

There is a very shallow depth of field because I used a magnifying filter of +2. So as far as I am concerned the only thing that should be in sharp focus is his face, the rest should all appear like a dream. Specifically I am curious about whether to crop the water line out or leave it in. Thanks in advance for your comments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails He dreamed of bigger water. . .2-dreamed2.jpg   He dreamed of bigger water. . .2-dreamed2crop.jpg  
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Re: He dreamed of bigger water. . .2

Well Cindy, my 2 cents is leave the water line in. But I've been wrong before. Interesting shot nonetheless. Thanks for explaining the setup.
    John

awesome shot! very interesting idea - heres something else - I can see you in the reflection, in particular your hand and the lens. plus a bit of a slight reflection of the surroundings too. it doesnt really hurt the shot, simply because you can also see a reflection of the velvet in the bottom too, which is very cool! if there was a way you could have isolated the velvet then that wouldve been cool, as it is, it looks great!

leave the water line in.

Awww, you photographed the poor thing to death! I've seen you do much better, this doesn't do much for me for some reason. It's a nice concept, but it seems it would be difficult to pull it off very effectively.
    Then again.. you know what they say about opinions

RIP "roadrunner":cryin:

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Siamese fighting fish Cindy???

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Hi folks! Thanks for chiming in with your ops!

John - I appreciate your 2 cents. Someday I'll pay you back I promise!

Anbesol - Muchas Gracias for the kind thoughts and words. I noticed the reflections of my lens and hands and removed them from the second shot before posting but didn't fix the first one. I also like the reflection of the velvet in the bottom of the glass and wanted to keep that but lose the rest of the more distracting reflections. 'Spose I should have been extra neat and tidy about it but, meh! This is really a just for giggles kind of project. The children remember him fondly so we'll probably put the picture in a frame in his empty tank for a while on the mantle before we head back out to the pet store for his replacement.

Payn - Thanks for the condolences. I agree it's not my best but. . .you can't hit a homer every time. Right? Really just trying to do better than the first time around. But you could be right about photographing him to death!!:blush2: Can I be charged with ichiscide? I mean fisherman seem to get away with it all the time. . . .

Jurgen - Yes, Siamese Fighting fish, but I believe their scientific name is Beta. I can assure you we kept him as a pacifist.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Thread Information