Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Hawaii I

Hawaii I

Just back from 8 days in Kona and have a couple, actually many, photos to share but I will only post a few. Here is the first of three posts, four photos in all. This first shot is at Keahou Bay. At night the Green Turtles come up onto the beach.

Your comments are appreciated.

CF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hawaii I-7498a.jpg  
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

New York State Of Mind. J-Dogg Productions's Avatar

Re: Hawaii I

thats a beautiful picture the sunsets must be nice there are the turtules an every day accurence or did you witness something special?

nice shot
    J.Curreri

J-Dogg:

I guess for me it was a bit of both. I have not seen a Green Sea Turtle up close like this before so it was pretty special. On the otherhand, from what the park Ranger said, it is not unusual for the turtles to come up on the beach at night. What makes it special though, is that I was in the right place at the right time.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Hey Coastal, I was in Kona last september. (my cousin lives off alii (sp?) drive just about a mile out of town. It was incredable as you prob know. The 13 days i was there i went to the beach about 3-4 times and saw probbably about 10 seperate turtal or groups of turtles on the beaches, as well as got to snorkle with them. i think it depends more on the beach that the time (although we were both there near fall).

i'm interested what else did you do while there?
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Dylan,

I stayed in the Ali'i Villas just one mile south of town. I walked into Lava Java every morning at dawn for coffee. I also para sailed, took a boat out on a snorkel cruise, spent one day driving all the way around the island including the loop road at Volcano National Park, and then plenty of time just sitting watching the waves. Nice you have family there and a place to stay. Cuts down on the expense.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

yeah, sounds like pretty much my vacation, parasailed, snorkled- jsut by myself off the coast though. camped on the beach, mona kea (had to drive on the saddle road), volcanoes NP.

it was really nice because him and his gf work for Hawaii forest and trail so i got to go on some of their tours... birding tour and what not. my favorite area though (at least for hiking) was the north side of the island, where the 1000 foot tall cliffs are along the ocean.

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    SB-600

It is such a diverse island. From desert to rain forrest and everything in between. I really love the Big Island.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Flyer
    Just back from 8 days in Kona and have a couple, actually many, photos to share but I will only post a few. Here is the first of three posts, four photos in all. This first shot is at Keahou Bay. At night the Green Turtles come up onto the beach.

Your comments are appreciated.

CF
    CF, the picture looks pixelated to me (possibly oversharpened) but that is a beautiful scene for sure. If it was mine, I guess I would be tempted to dodge the foreground a litle but that's already a fine picture like it is.

Seb

it looks like jsut the sand is oversharpened. but its not, thats just the way the sand looks on the beaches. the black is from lava, and the white bits are from coral. this is how you can get lots of different colored beaches in hawaii.

i really like this shot to. (forgot to comment on it before) if shows the turtles in their environment very very well. something i didn't get while i was there. i'd like to see the sky alittle darker to bring out some more detail though.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    SB-600

great shot! i love how you framed the turtles into it so well. I dont like how some detail in the land is just too dark to make out without too much inspection. The turutles should have been the first thing i noticed and i actually didnt even see them until further inspection. Also - the tree in the upper left corners KIND of irritating but not a very big deal at all.

Seb/Dylan/Anbesol:

Thanks very much for the comments and kind words. I appreciate all the suggestions. With any luck some day I will get a chance to re-shoot this image. The available light was waning. I took a few shots with flash but that made the whole scene look too unreal. So, I got what I got and it turned out reasonably well. Thanks again.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Thread Information