Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Happy Birthday Danielle!!! 7 today!!!

The 1st shot wasn't too bad but I am so upset the 2nd shot didn't turn out much better.

The lights were turned down, no time to re-meter my shot.
    My shutter was fairly slow, and Danielle is obviously moving in the 2nd shot, so it isn't very clear
    ISO was high so it's pretty grainy too.
    I was frightened of setting my aperture to wide open for fear of the dof being paper thin and not getting enough in focus.
    Didn't wanna use my flash for fear of the whole ambient lighting being ruined.

I see a no-win situation here. A total flop IMO!

Any CC on how to perfect this technique would be much appreciated, for future reference. TIA

Info:
    50mm 1.8 MKII lens
    F/2.50
    SS 1/80
    ISO 800

Last edited by Alison; 02-25-2007 at 05:22 PM.

Re: Happy Birthday Danielle!!! 7 today!!!

Don't be so hard on yourself. I think both images are very good. You just need to shoot under low light and experiment with different settings. We used to call this bracketing. A tri-pod works wonders under low light too. Your first image looks like the birthday girl is the focus and in the second the cake is. I have trouble with focus in low light myself.

Cheers,

Jim B.
    Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.

George Burns

Thread Information