Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Halloween Pics

Halloween Pics

Been having some fun trying to come up with some Halloween pictures. Excuse the modern broom and lack of witches hats but these pics weren't intended for Halloween when I took them.
    I'm probably going to be taking some more, but I have to wait for some costumes to arrive. :thumbsup:

When I took the originals I was laying on the floor underneath my picnic table, the girls were standing on the table and I was shooting upwards, having trouble keeping the camera steady because I was in fits of laughter!

Pumpkin and date were shot only the other day with my Canon and 50mm 1.8 MKII. All the other shots were taken in 2004 with my Sony Cybershot DSC-P10.

Your thoughts, as always, are much appreciated.
    Last edited by Alison; 02-25-2007 at 05:22 PM.

Re: Halloween Pics

Alison,

You just made my day LOL

critique: The top of the pumpkin is missing, and I prefer the silhouette

roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I absolutely loved them. You really caputred the moment. Great job!

I love the shots, but I think the girls need a more classic and less modern broom, and a couple of hats too.

For number 2 and 3, I would have used a slave flash behind the girls with an orange gel to slightly improve the lighting but make it still look natural.

Irrespective, I admire the creativity and effort that went into them and admit that their uniqueness gives them some impact. Learning Photoshop would give you a lot of power to clean up minor problems created by the background.

Ronnoco

Looks like a fun time was had, for sure. I like the bg effect you have on the silhouette shots and with a little more thought in getting them posing and with costumes, it should look great. I like your shot of the blocks and pumpkin in the bg. At first i was not sure if i liked the top of the pumpkin cut out, but i think it works ok. i would try darkening the bg to give this shot a more spooky look about it. Good work
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

GB1

Alison - Some pretty smart angles and "leaning" here The bottom two are esp funny. I can't help but think of the Wizard of Oz here.

I hope I can take a few Halloween shots myself and post them before Oct 31 !

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thank you so much EVERYONE who gave me some cc on these.

I have some costumes now and my daughter carved a new pumpkin today, so I can hopefully get some more Halloween images. I have many many ideas buzzing around in my head. Watch this space.

I said there would be more to come didn't I?
    Your thoughts, as always, are much appreciated.

GB1

Very well done, Alison - very detailed and everything is in place. I would have left a tad more space on the left, but whatever. She looks like a midget here -- was that intended? It does seem a bit PP'd... not sure if you did, but it just has that feel. Perhaps it's the lighting?

GB

My Site

Re: Halloween Pics - a few more

PP'd? Post Processed? Photoshopped? Hardly anything done to be honest.
    We are outside in the glorious sunlight. The bg is plastic sheeting and pegged to my washing line.
    Midget? She's only 7 lol.
    Last edited by Alison; 10-27-2006 at 11:52 PM.

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    PP'd? Post Processed? Photoshopped? Hardly anything done to be honest.
    We are outside in the glorious sunlight. The bg is plastic sheeting and pegged to my washing line.
    Midget? She's only 7 lol.
    Just 'seems' post processed. For ex, the eyeballs seem to hover over the tablecloth. But that can happen naturally due to contrast and lighting.

It looks a bit like Harry Potter somehow, but I guess that's a natural association.
    GB

My Site

Oh yeah, I see what you mean lol. No, the eyeballs were on the table.
    The only PS work done on the eye near the skull, was to give it an Iris because it had rolled over lol.
    I also got rid of the string on her nose.
    Other than levels, contrast and a bit of cropping I think that was about it.

Here is the original SOOC and a final edit. My nephew suggested I darken the bg and leave my daughter bright. A great suggestion, I thought. I am much happier with it now.

Re: Halloween Pics - a few more

Here are a few more.

Allison,

I am going to step outside of the disappointing behavior on this website of late to say how much I have enjoyed looking at your photos. You have combined your obvious enjoyment of photography and time to be with your daughters into a very enjoyable experience.

Way to go.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Awww thank you so much CF.

My pleasure. You bring a very nice touch to this forum. I am going out this evening with my daughter to a costume parade here in San Diego. I have been meaning to see this for several years and for some reason just haven't made it. I hope there are a few pictures worth sharing.

Hooty-boo!!

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Like most others I have to smile at these shots as well. Creativity, imagination, and impact. They work very well and are very effective.

Ronnoco

GB1

Great shots, full of life and personality. You seem to have the knack for the portraiture shots Alison -- great work. Have you ever shot pix of other folks besides the kids? I''m wondering how different that would be, and if you would be able to get as relaxed and dramatic photos of strangers. Just a thought. It must be harder??

Btw, Lisa looks like the Catwoman in that bottom shot

GB

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    You seem to have the knack for the portraiture shots Alison -- great work. Have you ever shot pix of other folks besides the kids? GB
    I very rarely get out GB and I am actually, in this day and age, afraid to take pics of other people, or their children, without their permission just in case they think I am some sort of wierdo.

I have only had two shoots with other people and they were friends. So they know me anyway.

I get the impression my photography is never going to go anywhere outside of family and friends. I think I will just continue to take pics of my children. I have so many nice images of my kids. All I have of myself, as a child, that have a professional look, are school photo's. And they are awful!

If I did this for a living then I think it would take the enjoyment out of taking pics. I would get the feeling "oh I don't wanna go to work today". I don't want my photography to come to that.

Btw, Lisa looks like the Catwoman in that bottom shot

GB
    You've done ya homework GB. How did you know that was Lisa?!
    And yes she is meant to be a catwoman. I converted it to B&W and then gave it a blue photo filter to create a feeling of moonlight.

Thank you so much EVERYONE for such great comments. It's so nice to know how highly I am thought of here.

Another one taken just today. Here's the sooc. Rubbish isnt it lol.
    Just thought you might like to see the picture warts and all (pardon the pun).
    And here is a couple of quick enhancements. What do you think?

#2 I made the Black cloudy sky and the moon.
    #3 Just another sunset I shot a couple of evenings ago.

I am open to suggestions and your thoughts, as always, are much appreciated.
    Last edited by Alison; 02-25-2007 at 05:21 PM.

MB1

I'm thinking you are making a mistake here.

I very rarely get out GB and I am actually, in this day and age, afraid to take pics of other people, or their children, without their permission just in case they think I am some sort of wierdo.

I have only had two shoots with other people and they were friends. So they know me anyway.

I get the impression my photography is never going to go anywhere outside of family and friends. .......
    You take great and original photos of kids and lots of other parents would love to have someone to take photos like this of their kids. The photos you have posted on this site are already a great resume.

Looking at these things it seems to me that you have a lot of fun doing it so why not do it more? Just because you get money for doing something you enjoy doesn't necessarily mean that you will no longer enjoy it.

OTOH if all you ever do with your photos is share them with family and us that is ok by me too......:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Chasing kids around is what got me started with photograghy to begin with. Look at the wonderful pictures you will cherish forever. You are very creative with your photography. I wish I had your eye for creativaty and composition. Buy those girls cameras and pass along the craft.
    Greg

GB1

You've done ya homework GB. How did you know that was Lisa?!
    And yes she is meant to be a catwoman. I converted it to B&W and then gave it a blue photo filter to create a feeling of moonlight.
    Yeah, I DL'd it and was attempting some image mod before I gave up.. the name of the file said Lisa. Aka Catwoman.

The new shots are also neat... Looks like the blue screen methodology here. Try one of your daughters w/o a head, holding it in her hand (cliche maybe, but it might turn out good?)

-GB

My Site

You are all so kind. Thank you so much for the wonderful comments.

Yeah, I DL'd it and was attempting some image mod before I gave up.. the name of the file said Lisa. Aka Catwoman. -GB
    That was sneaky! LOL

The new shots are also neat... Looks like the blue screen methodology here. Try one of your daughters w/o a head, holding it in her hand (cliche maybe, but it might turn out good?)

-GB
    I was going to do that with Jen's skeletone costume. That's why I bought the skulls. But the twins went to their Dad's for the weekend so I didn't get chance to do that one.

I haven't even had chance to shoot my pink witch costume on Jenny yet.
    Not to mention Gina's sexy witch costume, Becky's Spider Enchantress and Samantha's Medieval outfit.

Trying to fit all of this in around two babies under the age of two, taking hubby for the first part of his driving test (by the way, he PASSED!) and normal day to day things isn't easy! Phew!!!

I think I am doing pretty well so far tho
    I'm happy with what I have managed to get.

Thread Information