Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Guard Duty At Dawn

At the first light of day this guy was already on duty. I went to the Zoo today and have a few shots to share.

CF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guard Duty At Dawn-9671.jpg  
    Last edited by gahspidy; 01-01-2007 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured Photo. January 1, 2007
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Re: Guard Duty At Dawn

cool shot indeed, just watch out for the white dots on the image. also, see if you can bring a little bit of the eye back.

Brent,

Thanks very much for the comment. I appreciate you taking the time.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I really like this one.
    I think that white dot under the antelope is sun on grass.
    I love how the light is outlining the animal.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Frog,

Thanks very much for the comment. I was very scared to submit this photo. I felt like it was a fairly decent shot but didn't know how it would be received. So, I appreciate the positive feedback.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

drg

I like this one because it seems to capture that momentary nobility of the stag.

There is a stalk of grass in the lower portion of the belly that could be removed or burned to lessen its interruption of the flow of the photograph along with a very bright spot/reflection near it that could also be burned or removed. The hind leg seems too bright(more on that in a moment).

The overall picture seems as if it could be lightened/brightened/level adjusted to bring a slight bit more detail in the beast.

I wonder if the overall strength and impact of this photo might be positively altered by either cropping out the hindquarters just in front of the rear 'bright' leg or re-visioning this by darkening the right portion of the photo almost as a gradient (where to start that grad is the question!!). The cropping to give more emphasis to the head and horns, and even reducing the negative space at the top to re-balance the image again to accentuate the animal profile might be worth exploring.

Side and back lighting in nature shots is tricky to get to work and not just produce a silhouette. You've caught a moment of complimentary light with this image.

All my suggestions aside, you have caught that moment well that highlights this animal. Thanks for sharing this one.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

CDP:

Wow, these are really great suggestions, and I appreciate them all. I will spend time this evening and work on each. I had not thought of cropping this photo as the entire image seemed to be so critical. But, having blocked a portion of the screen with my hand I can see what you mean. This was a tricky photo as what you see is what I saw and took. The morning light kept the beast hidden very well beneath a tree but the outline was all I could see. Thanks for the great suggestions. I really appreciate it.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Great image, CF. you already have good critique from the forum. Clean up the dots and maybe a vertical line or two and it's ready to hang. Great work
    Last edited by gahspidy; 01-08-2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Unsticking thread
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Gary,

Thanks very much, I appreciate the input. I am tinkering with the image given the feedback already. The good comments will help I am certain.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

well I am new to this sight.
    I have not done any posts yet.
    But will do as I need some advice. Just having a good look around the site first.
    I came across your photo and I think it is fantastic. But then I am just learning.

Lorraine

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Congratulations on the sticky CF!
    I think you did a great job with this capture under some tricky lighting conditions.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Congrats on the sticky CF, Print it, frame it and take the wife out and celebrate. NIce Job...
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Oh my gosh. This is great. Thanks so much, I am thrilled. I really appreciate this so much.
    I appreciate all the comments and positive feedback on this photo. I had a great day at the Zoo and this makes it all worth while.

Thanks again.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

See, I had confidence in this one from the very beginning. Congratulations CF

Yes, you certainly were. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, you were the first to comment. Thanks very much for the kind words.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    I like this one because it seems to capture that momentary nobility of the stag.

There is a stalk of grass in the lower portion of the belly that could be removed or burned to lessen its interruption of the flow of the photograph along with a very bright spot/reflection near it that could also be burned or removed. The hind leg seems too bright(more on that in a moment).

The overall picture seems as if it could be lightened/brightened/level adjusted to bring a slight bit more detail in the beast.

I wonder if the overall strength and impact of this photo might be positively altered by either cropping out the hindquarters just in front of the rear 'bright' leg or re-visioning this by darkening the right portion of the photo almost as a gradient (where to start that grad is the question!!). The cropping to give more emphasis to the head and horns, and even reducing the negative space at the top to re-balance the image again to accentuate the animal profile might be worth exploring.

Side and back lighting in nature shots is tricky to get to work and not just produce a silhouette. You've caught a moment of complimentary light with this image.

All my suggestions aside, you have caught that moment well that highlights this animal. Thanks for sharing this one.
    `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````

CF this image is special.Congrats on the much deserved feedback, the sticky:thumbsup: Thanks drg...I learn every time I read your comments
    Rick

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Congrats CF.Well deserved recognition.This image is special. Great sticky !!

Rick

Thanks very much, Rick. I really appreciate the kind words. Just so you know, I have taken all of your comments to heart and made those corrections. The print now hanging in my office at work reflects your comments. Wish I could have made them before posting. Regardless, I am very pleased to be a featured photo. Thanks again.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Excellent image and congrats on the sticky!

I agree with drg about cropping out the rear leg and some of the black space above. A slight crop with the same aspect ratio starting from the bottom left corner does the trick nicely and still keeps the photo in balance.

I would go one more step: try another version but even darker with even more contrast. You'll loose some of the noise and produce a nice black-on-black with a pencil outline. Try it!

All your hard work is paying off!
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Loupey,

cropped, darker, and with more contrast looking for a pencil outline. Got it! I will work on that. Thanks very much. This is such great fun.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Great photo. I like the advice to crop the 'bright' leg. Also, good job on taking a photo when many would have passed it by.

beginner question: drg mentions applying a gradient. is that with an editing program and if so which one?

Yo,

Many thanks for taking the time to add you thoughts. I have taken all the comments from this phot and played around with it. Cropping the bright back leg certainly improves the shot. The gradient comment from drg is performed by software and most commonly through Photoshop or, PS as you will see used throughout this website.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

wow, what a beautiful picture . hats off to you on waking up early and being prepared.
    <- Jessica ->

Canon Digital Rebel XT w/ 28-105 lens

GB1

Wow, neat shot CF. I would take a little off the top and not tell anyone it was at a zoo... it might pass for in the wild. Just needs a little cleanup wrt the white dots etc and it'll be fine.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

GB,

Thanks very much for the comments. I have taken all the comments to heart, made the changes and must agree, it does make the image stronger. It was an honor to have an image selected as a sticky. It gives motivation!

Thanks again.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Thread Information