Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Grubby greenhouse windows

So Villana can get back at me for my scathing critique.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grubby greenhouse windows-greenhouse1.jpg  

the only thing i will say is....

YOU SPELLED MY NAME WRONG
    Its a good thing I go by my "pen name" on this board or you'd really spell my real name wrong!

I like this... much more to the effect of being in a nasty hot sticky place, only if you were IN the greenhouse! I love it though. That green has an eery chemical induced feeling to it.
    Funny, for the conservatory being a green house and all, its white.
    Not that all green houses are green either.

Great shot Chunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Last edited by villenadecorte; 07-27-2004 at 01:24 PM. Reason: because spell check sucks
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

reflections in the green house....

so while we are on the greenhouse topic here....
    another one from the sf conservatory- reflections of the ceiling, in the water/pond where the lillypads are. shoddy shot.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grubby greenhouse windows-conservatory-flowers-water-copy.jpg  
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Quote Originally Posted by villenadecorte
    YOU SPELLED MY NAME WRONG
    Its a good thing I go by my "pen name" on this board or you'd really spell my real name wrong!

I like this... much more to the effect of being in a nasty hot sticky place, only if you were IN the greenhouse! I love it though. That green has an eery chemical induced feeling to it.
    Funny, for the conservatory being a green house and all, its white.
    Not that all green houses are green either.

Great shot Chunk.
    OH, NO. Major apology!

I think the green here is mostly from the flourencent lights. The grubbyness of the glass is due to the incomplete removal of the whitewash that is applied during the summer to minimize the heating from the sun.

I really like the shot of the conservatory that you added to this thread. Very stately.

no apologies ;)

Im just bustin your chops... no one ever spells my name (real or moniker) correctly! ;)
    Thanks for the compliment on the second shot- I wasnt happy with it and just put it in the back of the files.
    Your grubby green house is great!

OH, NO. Major apology!

I think the green here is mostly from the flourencent lights. The grubbyness of the glass is due to the incomplete removal of the whitewash that is applied during the summer to minimize the heating from the sun.

I really like the shot of the conservatory that you added to this thread. Very stately.
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

Seb
    Hello Chunk,

You have a very interesting point of view here. To me, this picture evoke strangeness and is almost creepy (in a wholly positive way) which most likely come from the lighting and the whitewash as you are pointing out.

This is quite certainly one of the most creative shot that I have seen in a while.

regards

Seb

very X files feel to it...

I like the toxic feel to this... although green is supposed to be a refreshing, fresh color it definitely sets off a VERY different mood here...I like the fact you were able to get as many details inside as well as preserving the details outside..the greenhouse...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

This is interesting. i like the green and the effect of the light coming through it. Like the watering can in the left and all the details visible in the house. Good shot
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks everyone, for all the nice comments. Here's a picture of the whole length of the greenhouse. The closer view is from the far right end.
    These are favorite shots from a few years ago of the research greenhouse across the street from the building I work in and I have enjoyed looking at it in the mornings as I arrive at work, especially on the cold winter mornings when a little island of light and warmth seems so inviting.
    I tried capturing the green/yellowish glow of the first shot on a painting and was not completely successful, but I do think I caught the 'peering into someone elses private world' feeling that I had when taking the photo.
    http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL22/5...2/15410807.jpg
    I won't have these particular views anymore since demolition of the greenhouse began a month or so ago. A new powerplant being built just to the south would shade some of the greenhouses (there were 8 or 10 lined up behind this one) so they are being replace by a new facility 50 or 60 feet to the north. Hope the new set up is as pleasing to look at as the old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grubby greenhouse windows-greenhouse2.jpg  

Chunk, I'm new here but I'm not new to photography. I personally love this shot. It gives me a feeling of voyerism, almost like you were sneaking around to get it.. were you? heh.. It looks so warm and humid because of the colors and light you captured. Very good shot.

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    Chunk, I'm new here but I'm not new to photography. I personally love this shot. It gives me a feeling of voyerism, almost like you were sneaking around to get it.. were you? heh.. It looks so warm and humid because of the colors and light you captured. Very good shot.
    Thanks.
    I agree that the image evokes that feeling, but this is actually a pretty public location a few feet off a fairly busy street with cars parked a few feet away and pedestrian traffic as well. I didn't feel that I was intruding while taking the picture but I'm glad that the photo give that feeling. (If I'm going to bother sneaking around, I'll get a shot a lot more interesting than a few plants and a watering can. )

Thread Information