Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Grenouille

Grenouille

Hi,

This is a Frog, "grenouille" in french :-)

Thank you

Re: Grenouille

i prefer the 1st one. love the merkiness / greyness of the surrounding water. nice 3 quarters view of the face also.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

The first shot, composition wise, seems to have the frog in the correct location. The exposure is well balanced and greens are not overpowering. What does not work so well are the green and brown branches spread across the shot which are distracting and out of focus. I can appreciate, however, that this is a hard shot to do, as reaching down and grabbing the branches out of the way is not easy.

The second one, composition wise, does not work for me. The frog is too centered, and the surrounding branches seem to do little to support the image. Also, there are several areas of blown highlights, especially on the leaf - they are a little distracting, since the eye seems to drawn to the it.

For better highlight control I would suggest trying to shoot at different time of day, using multiple exposures, or perhaps shooting in RAW and underexposing by 1/2 stop or so, and then trying to recover some lost detail in the darker areas of the image.

Doing this looks like it would have been fun!

Thank you,
    lot of branches :cryin:

#2. Low glare off the water allows me to see the submerged legs and how the hands are holding on to steady the animal. Color, composition, DOF and sharpness are spot on. The only thing (nit pick) that I would like to see is a tighter crop of top and left side of the image. That dark triangle in the upper left is a bit distracting. But if you get rid of that one, a crop will creat another one right under it, oh well...
    Very nice work.
    Ed

GB1

Both are very well done! I like the top one a little better because of the way the frog's looking at me. The bottom one's sharp and well done also, but I think that the bright area on its back is slightly blown out, and not seeing the other eye isn't as ideal as the first.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I really like the lighting in the second one! But it would have been more effective if the frog was in the rule of thirds like the first one. Also, I think there is a bit too much negative space in both pictures.. The surroundings arent very exciting and it would be nicer to see a bit more detail of the frog.

I like the top one best, and i don't mind all the twigs criss crossing about. It seems to help frame the frog.
    The other one would have been pretty good, and great light but the leaf floating on top of the frog with the blown out detail kills that one for me.

Both I would say are nicely framed.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

I like the first shot, comp and light is great. I find the light on the second shot a bit strong.
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

Thread Information