Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Graffiti !

GB1

Graffiti !

C&Cs?

Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Graffiti !

I like it. The palette of colours are amazing. Original photo looks like it's pretty awesome too.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

The processing really seems to suit the subject matter, nice one GB.
    Initially I thought I'd like to have seen the whole face, but the crop posted is probably better on reflection.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Just Me

I like it enough to want to hang a big print of it above my couch. Great job.

wow really nice,I like the wide format

the dark spots are there or introduced during PP ?

I have no comments for improvement

GB1

Thanks everyone. The idea for this came to mind ad hoc, at the end of a shoot, trying to some excitement/humor to the scene (just glad she wasn't holding a can of DDT !!! ).

To clarify things, the reason I originally cropped most of her face was because I didn't get a model release, deciding to protect her identity. However, comparing it to the original, it's just as good or better not seeing everything... sorta abstracts things.

Armando, the 'dark' spots were not really that dark - the conversion process did what it did, though I had some control over things.

Someone here at work suggested that I use it on a biz card. That may be an idea ..

G

My Site

really ? so this is an actual photo converted to look like graffiti ?
    nice work indeed

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    really ? so this is an actual photo converted to look like graffiti ?
    nice work indeed
    Ha .. no, I guess I misspoke. It was graffiti, but didn't quite look the same (as expected, I suppose). The processing simplified the colors and chose what it did.. Here's the original!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Graffiti !-dsc_4494_800.jpg  

My Site

Oh I really like the original - Oh! I mean the graffiti'd version - its an excellent conversion and colours are stunning.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Imaginative crop that really works. As does the effect. Very successful piece of graphic art.

GB1

Thanks fellows - just in time for San Diego's COMIC-CON too! I should stand outside the convention center and troll for willing models maybe ...

G

My Site

This is really excellent. I almost never prefer a highly processed looking image to a more realistic photo, but you nailed it here. The treatment fits the image so completely.

As a learning exercise, could you share the steps you went through to convert it?

Glad to see this one featured. It really is an original work of art. Congrats!!

I said YES when i saw this one as featured photo

congrats gb!

I really like this a lot, Greg. It's very different from what we usually pick for a Photo Critique Featured Photo but I think it works really well and I liked the idea of featuring something more processed and graphic than usual. I liked the discussion around the image and wanted to encourage it.

I don't know if I have any recommendations for improving this photo, but in the spirit of critique, I will offer some thoughts. I like the composition a lot. I think it's great with the model's face cropped. That puts the emphasis on the spray can and makes her more an icon, a supporting element, if you will. If we could see her face, I think she'd be competing with the spray can and that would dilute the message / story here.

I'm glad you posted the original so we could see it. I think the processed version is a lot stronger. I like the original just fine. It think it's well done. But the processed version has a graphic power and comic book feel that really make it stronger. I'm not exactly sure what the added meaning is from the processing, but there is something more. And that's not always the case. I'm going to keep thinking about this because I think breaking it down to understand it better will be useful to all of us.

Nice work - congratulations!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

GB1

Thanks everyone, always an honor to make a sticky.

Funny about this image - when I posted it I expected about three replies, one or so positive. I think we're all pretty purist here, not too many of us going for 'gimmicks.' Obviously, I'm super happy that everyone accepted it ... my guess is that it shoots into the Pop Art category, which is lite and airy.

All that being said, I think it expands our horizons to do something new and different every now and then ....... So your turn fellows

Lava, you're going to hate me for this, but I just tried recreating it -- and failed I know I used the Photoshop CS5 "Poster Edge" effect, but I also did a few tweaks after that too, which are the parts I seem to be having a problem with. Don't worry though, it won't happen again .. I just turned on History Log. See the following page for how to do that: Keep Track of Editing History in Photoshop CS

PJ, so true on the face-only observation!! At first I was disappointed that I forgot to get a release from this model and having to conceal her identity. But comparing it to the original, I see what you mean: it's better 'can only.' Oh, and perhaps this effect works so well because the subject and walls are all about spray paint and the effect is to? Something to ponder.

Thanks too, Armando and Dray.

Just glad I hit this in time for Comic Con, which I missed this year ..

G

My Site

Congrats on the sticky well deserved and I echo the others praise. A series would be nice. I am sure it will come back to you how you created it. You could be a trend setter with it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Good job GB!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information